I don't understand department stores sometimes..

Geonovast

I had some time to kill in Madison today, so I decided I would stop by Sears and watch my money jump out of my pocket and into theirs. I was just browsing and saw a 10 piece Gearwrench metric ratcheting wrench set for $29.99 ($30 off). I looked around but couldn't find the matching SAE set. They did have matching 8 piece ones though, both on sale for $59.99. Identical wrenches. I looked all over trying to find a catch, as to why this odd 10 piece set was $30 cheaper than the smaller set. They weren't even returned.

So..basically...WTF?

i've had that happen at sears before, too. best i can figure is they're trying to make money of the credit card interest more than anything else. my wife use to work at jcpenny's, and all they cared about there was getting peopel to sign up for the plastic.

Hey while we are on this subject. The MAC tool guy told me a set from 8mm to 19mm of their "gear wrenches" is $150. So I take it it's not a good deal? The only thing I can say is they replace it for free if it breaks (lifetime warranty). What do you guys think?

That price sounds good. I think I paid 170 for my set of "GearWreach" s .

That was a while back though, when they were relatively a new product.

Thing I've seen with the sears ones are they skip sizes in a set... Mine are size 8mm straight to 19mm. not 8,9,10,12,14,15,17,ect like others..

I take it a gearwrench is a retcheting box end? I have craftsman SAE ones, but I've actually never used them (bought them on winter vacation, they were on sale). I don't know what the Mac ones are like, but I'd expect for them to be that much more expensive. Craftsman stuff is just cheap... I don't actually like my craftsman ratcheting box ends, but they were all I could find. The end is just too large to actually fit where I need it. Snap-on used to make very nice stubby ones with a very small head, but they discontinued them (bet the auto mechanics broke 'em a lot).

I take it a gearwrench is a retcheting box end? I have craftsman SAE ones, but I've actually never used them (bought them on winter vacation, they were on sale). I don't know what the Mac ones are like, but I'd expect for them to be that much more expensive. Craftsman stuff is just cheap... I don't actually like my craftsman ratcheting box ends, but they were all I could find. The end is just too large to actually fit where I need it. Snap-on used to make very nice stubby ones with a very small head, but they discontinued them (bet the auto mechanics broke 'em a lot).

Thats one reason I decided to get my grearwrenches. The ratcheted end was really slim, slimmer then alot of normal boxed ends. I don't ever use them to break bolts free though, I'd hate to strip the gears even though I believe gearwrench covers that. I do have a small grip with my 13mm, sometimes it locks up and I have to jiggle it to get it to operate.

I bought the gearwrench stubbies. I know they aren't guaranteed like craftsman, but I figured the fact that they were stubby would keep me from over-exerting on them. Plus I didn't have any stubby wrenches yet and MAN do they come in handy. jamminz.gif

If they are on sale, I highly recommend them. :D

i got my gear wrench extra long ratching wrenching in metric size 8-19 at sears.com they aren't available in sears stores. they are great. i use them everyday at work. the extra length makes breaking bolts loose that much easier. i only paod 110 bucks for them. i just need them in SAE now.

but if you want the best set, matco makes them. but it will run about 250 bucks for a set.

I bought the gearwrench stubbies. I know they aren't guaranteed like craftsman, but I figured the fact that they were stubby would keep me from over-exerting on them. Plus I didn't have any stubby wrenches yet and MAN do they come in handy. jamminz.gif

If they are on sale, I highly recommend them. :D

Yeah they do have the same guaranty. Gearwrench is a Sears brand. Says right on my box that they have a lifetime guaranty.

And yeah, mine skip too. 6mm, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. But 10 of them for $30 I couldn't pass up.

And they failed at getting me a Sears card too. I yet to have one and I doubt I will. I'd get in trouble with it.