Project XJ2MJ

My XJ had some rotted out areas and had seen better days, so I started fresh.

Final specs will be

88MJ

4.6l stroker, aw4, np231 w/sye

d30, alloys, arb, warn hub conversion, OTK steering

8.25, 29 spline, disk brakes, powertrax no slip

6" rock krawler coils and long arms, 6" Alcan leaf springs left SUA

d&c cage modified for an MJ

35" bfg muds

For this year it will remain a long bed, but next winters project will be to bob the bed and shorten the wheelbase from 120 down to about 108 alon with a dove tailed bed. :o

I began with these:

Then the XJ interior was taken out:

And installed in the MJ:

With my goofy *** in it, it looks like this:

Got the front end of the XJ off:

And put onto the MJ:

XJ4Life came by and we did a motor swap....

On the way out of the XJ

Into the MJ

Made some plates to reinforce the frame, got the interior finally finished, made adaptors to mount the seats, and picked up a new door and tail gate.

Turns out I don't have the steel I need to make new LCA mounts in my scrap pile, and the local steel place was closed over the holiday break, so I didn't end up getting the front axle installed. Gonna try to get out at lunch and get the steel I need tomorrow.

Plate to reinforce the frame and mount the front suspension and transmission crossmember to. It goes from the front of the frame back to the first support to the floor. After that I'll have another piece and weld them together

Got the interior installed and completed. Gonna have to pull it back out to herculine the floor and install the cage.

The "new" door and tail gate.

These came the other day, 6" spring under Alcan springs:

Got the passenger control arm mount and frame reinforcement plate welded on, still need to finish burning it in, but I wanted to make sure everything worked first. Got the upper mount in and the track bar mount in, then swapped over the axle. :D

Made the control arm mounts to push the axle forward from where it used to be by about 2". Looks pretty good to me.

When you working by yourself and need to move the body about 4" to line up the trackbar its amazing what you come up with. :dunno:

just a couple more pics

And a piece inside my floor jack cracked off, so I am currently without a way to raise up the jeep, so the stock cprings stay in it for another week. I measured the new ones to compare, the rear will sit about 6.5" higher than it currently does, so it shoul dhave a nice rake to it.

and even picked up a tail gate in good shape.

just have a bunch of little things to finish up and I should be all set :driving:

My floor jack broke, so next weekend when I have a new jack, I will be able to get the rear springs installed and the rear axle swapped ot of the XJ into the MJ. Should work out good and be pretty easy. The rear springs will end up putting the back about 1" higher than the front.

looks great so far

pm me if you'd like some cab vent covers for it, and some comanche emblems (cheap)

also, If you're not using the power windows system from the xj...could I con you out of them? they do fit in a comanche you just remove the rear lift gate wiring from it and install it in the mj, then get 4 door cherokee window motors and install them

-Pat

Quick tip on the TD bolt..

It takes two people, but the one job ANYONE can do and won't even get dirty!!! Have that person behind the wheel. Now turn the wheel until the holes line up!!!

Sometimes the simpuleest things get right by us!!

CW

Can't you lift the rear with your engine lift and some chain. Why wait man, get it done already.

I'm out of the country for the week, so I wouldn't be able to anyways. I'm gonna pick up a jack on my way home. :cheers:

looks great so far

pm me if you'd like some cab vent covers for it, and some comanche emblems (cheap)

also, If you're not using the power windows system from the xj...could I con you out of them? they do fit in a comanche you just remove the rear lift gate wiring from it and install it in the mj, then get 4 door cherokee window motors and install them

I have the vent covers, but I'll pm you later for the emblems.

I might have someone buying the entire XJ shell, if I don't I'll definately let you know. All your looking for is the switches and the wiring then? Its a 2 door, so the liftgate wiring is a separate harness on mine.

can i see a pic of how you mounted the spotlights on your A-pillar? I'm very interested in that.

I'll see if I have a few on the computer when I get back to the hotel tonight.

depending on the price i may be interested in your stock 4x4 leaf packs...i assume they will be in the scrap pile after this?

I'll send you a PM later tonight, they will be scrap, but they are completely shot. I'm 150lbs and if i stand on the rear bumper, they sag about 2". I'm in SE Michigan.

Quick tip on the TD bolt..

It takes two people, but the one job ANYONE can do and won't even get dirty!!! Have that person behind the wheel. Now turn the wheel until the holes line up!!!

Sometimes the simpuleest things get right by us!!

Thats the method I usually use, but the steering box is not yet conencted, so it wouldn't work this time.

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I have worked on it, been doing a lot of travelling for work.

Finally got the rear end installed and fired it up for the first time today. Runs great.

Next weekend I am gonna go through everything and tighten everything down and get it ready to hit hte road.

I also traded my old rear leafs for a set of 50% tread 35" BFG's jamminz.gif Gotta clean the garage up a little to get to the tire changer, but hopefully they will be on next weekend too.

Have a total of 85 hours into it so far. Including disassembling the XJ to get all the parts. Not too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just need to weld on the perches on the rear axle, finish welding the frame plates, splice the xjand mj harness to get brake lights working, install new windshield and shoot it with some paint once it warms up outside a little.

:D

Image Not Found

Tire coverage looks to be about perfect with the 35's too. You can even see the poor old XJ in the garage in this one.

Image Not Found

No real progress since the last post. I noticed the BFG's I picked up had some cracks between the tread, so I opted for a like new set of Trxus mud terrains in the 35" size. Got them mounted up yesterday, and shot the bed with a thin coat of black paint, just to make most of it the same color. :D