Drop Brackets question

FWIW, I'd say go longarms. I did mine on a budget with fixed LCA's one inch longer than stock (thanks Pat!), and ended up having to drop coin on adjustable UCA's too. My CA angles are "ok" but I'd be able to get alot more axle droop with longarms. The $$$ you spend in drop brackets and control arms puts you close to a good LA setup.

They're in my future, but for now I'm gonna run as-is until things start breaking :D

Jeff

i just pm a guy for a RK 3 link qoute. it comes in under 600 to my door i may do it. sell my adjustable uppers and fixed lowers for 200. the uppers are Re brand new.

dat's what I'm talkin' about, Willis......

I've been running drop brackets and they hold up fine to hard wheelin but hang too low for my taste. I got them for cheap, I would do something else if I was starting over.

Rock magnets, is what they are.

The '88 MJ had them on when I bought it. I wheeled it for a couple of years with the brackets, a 4" lift, and 31s. Then I took off the lift, removed the brackets, and running 30s I can go anywhere I could go before -- with less scraping up front.

They are for street trucks that want to run big tires.

I've been running drop brackets and they hold up fine to hard wheelin but hang too low for my taste. I got them for cheap, I would do something else if I was starting over.

The '88 MJ had them on when I bought it. I wheeled it for a couple of years with the brackets, a 4" lift, and 31s. Then I took off the lift, removed the brackets, and running 30s I can go anywhere I could go before -- with less scraping up front.

They are for street trucks that want to run big tires.

I somewhat disagree with that statement.

Drop brackets should be used at 5" or higher. And I'm going to assume anyone who's running 5" of lift will be on 33's, if not 35's.

Yes running 31's with drop brackets they will be a rock magnet, but if you run them with larger tires your not going to have as much issues. Running them with 31's your just asking to have them hit on things.

Every time the topic of drop brackets comes up we have a pissing match over them.

Go with longarms, you'll thank yourself later that you did. Also RK just recently re-designed their kit to th the new x-factor (3rd gen) so make sure your getting quotes on the new kit, not the 2nd gen kit.

right on thx. I will look at his build thread.

my dilemma is spend the money on drop brackets and lower control arms or get long arm upgrade kit.

That's something only you can decide...

OK, having said that... her is my thoughts and comments on what others have said here.

FWIW, I'd say go long arms. I did mine on a budget with fixed LCA's one inch longer than stock (thanks Pat!), and ended up having to drop coin on adjustable UCA's too. My CA angles are "OK" but I'd be able to get allot more axle droop with long arms. The $$$ you spend in drop brackets and control arms puts you close to a good LA setup.

Flex differences will be close, REALLY, your shock length is whats limiting my droop, (And anyone else's)NOT the short arms and DB's. You can only get so long a shock in there... THATS your limiting factor..NOT the DB's. LA's WILL ride better, but the DB's where SUCH an improvement it wasn't funny!! Its a cost thing as Jeff said.

The '88 MJ had them on when I bought it. I wheeled it for a couple of years with the brackets, a 4" lift, and 31s.

That's what I thought as well!! NOT necessarily the case!!

RE offers these with there 5.5" lift. They make them and should know best. As Lead not follow points out, this is enough lift for 33 or 35" tires. With this size tire those DB;s are up and covered pretty well by the tires. Will ya hit them i the rocks, SURE. I have been in some pretty technical places and they have yet to stop me or seriously cause me to consider them when picking a line.

Its VERY similar to my opinion on the 8.8 swap in TJ/YJ's. I feel 37" is max size, but 35 is MINIMUM size. this is just because the sheer size of this axle. if you haven't looked at one, its damn near a D60!!! Its a GREAT ROCK FINDER with 33's gets worse with anything smaller. I know I wheeled one for three years on some of the toughest trials this part of the country has to offer!! Since going to 35's two years back, its WORLDS better.

I have two buddies with three link front axles.. My opinion is STAY AWAY for STREET VEHICLES!!!!! Not allot better for off road!! It will flex like mad, but BOTH guys have WICKED DW on the road!! BOTH guys have ripped from and axle mounts as the increased stress to the single upper arm as too much for them.

Just my 2cents,

CW

I have two buddies with three link front axles.. My opinion is STAY AWAY for STREET VEHICLES!!!!! Not allot better for off road!! It will flex like mad, but BOTH guys have WICKED DW on the road!! BOTH guys have ripped from and axle mounts as the increased stress to the single upper arm as too much for them.

Just my 2cents,

CW

that is certainly a case to not go that route. it will indeed have more street use than trail. I daily drive it. not far, but it is still my daily driver. that is necesarily going to keep me from going to LA but very valid concern to look into

i was also wondering about the long term durability on drop brackets without frame braces.

and as far as the low clearance of drop brackets that does not worry me at all. i will prolly go to 35's soon anyways

The way the frame is made on MJ's it provides more support to the DB's than on a XJ. Many people say MJ's do not require the braces. I do not have them on mine and do not have any problems.

If your handy, and have a welder or access to one, you could easily fab up something if you really thought you needed it.

CW

Just a FYI, as I'm not sure it was stated in this topic yet.

The braces for the RE drop brackets will NOT fit on the MJ. That is the reasoning that nobody runs them on the MJ's, as they simply do not fit.

doesn't Bob run the drop brackets?

Yes he does and everytime I've talked with him about them he seems to love them (for what it's worth).

I debated over the DB or the RK longarm...the only reason i went with the DB is b/c i got them cheap and already had all the other necc components such as RK HD track bar, RE UCA, ADJ LCA etc....I plan on fabbing up my own braces to help with the DB just b/c i can, don't feel that i need them but might as well...

Eventually i will go with the RK Long-arm from my local vendor here...cheaper installed than anyone ive gotten a quote from....and the DB w/XJ braces with endup going on my XJ or for sale...

If you can find a set cheaper than new i would do it...Its going to be cheaper to do the DB either way just b/c they are $250-300 depending on where you find them the longarm kit will cost $400-500 before install...if you don't have a welder or know someone who can weld then you will have to pay to have that done also...OK I'm done talking now :cheers:

yeah, i certainly want long arm but there are so many variables in that. Mostly Long arms are all the craze right now and i don't want to be drawn into the hype when short arms have been around so long and have been reliable.

like longshot said knowing two peeps have torn their long arm up. that is not good..

also the not being able to add braces that is not good for the DB.

being realistic my truck will see 90% road driving as it will be a daily driver I really want to make the right choice here and i can swing either way financially.

I thought 3rd gen was a bolt on deal with the RK setup but perhaps not!

my biggest thing is getting the right setup for my needs.

I appreciate everyones input and it looks like a pretty close 50/50 debate. tough choice man.

My bad the 3rd gen i believe is bolt on...my buddies MJ has the 2nd Gen....

bhrocks--->I'm working on my MJ Sun-Thursday this week so feel free to hit me up and swing by and i can help ya try and figure out whats wrong with yours...I'm going to be installing my DB, springs, shocks, UCA, trackbar w/ HD bracket and rear shackles (till i do my SOA)... :D

My bad the 3rd gen i believe is bolt on...my buddies MJ has the 2nd Gen....

bhrocks--->I'm working on my MJ Sun-Thursday this week so feel free to hit me up and swing by and i can help ya try and figure out whats wrong with yours...I'm going to be installing my DB, springs, shocks, UCA, trackbar w/ HD bracket and rear shackles (till i do my SOA)... :D

caster.. can't get any more out of it without adjustable lowers or going with drop brackets. most i could get is 1 degree positive. looking into it i think i should just get the long arm kit. i am sure once i do i won't regret it.

have to spend money either way. make some calls tommorow and see what absolute offroad or desert fab will do for me.

thanks everyone for their input. lots of pro's and con's of each system.

i would talk to joe over at Absolute...great guy and does A+++ work...he did my gears and lockers, but he is closed on Sat and Sun...whats the mesurement on you LCA? are they straight ones or have the bend in them?...i have adj lowers and if yours will work with my DB i we can swap them to see if we can fix yours if thats something you might wanna do