Drop Brackets question

Dude,

don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing LA's as long as there is four of them. (Or a good radius arm set up) They will definately ride and handle better as stated, they also flex awesomly. Just know all the facts. Thats why i mentioned the shocks previously. Guys get cought up in the hype and someimes miss the fores for the trees. there is a couple more things in your front end to effect articulation. Long Arms are NOT THE END all answer. they are a GOOD part of a SYSTEM for better ride and articulation.

The factory, stock track bar is a flex inhibator as is the factory steering that you mentioned. Add a LA kit with out considering and BUDGETING for these you will much regret it. You NEED a good non-binding steering setup as well as a Track Bar that is better engineered. Like the RE or Kevins systems. They both use a WJ style bar that dosen't inhibit droop in the slightest.

The DB's do everything I have asked from them. I havent regretted the decision once.

Good luck,

CW

i do agree about long arms being all the hype. that is why i take in consideration the pro's and con's of each. I have talked with some others on NAXJA that have the 3 link and have no issues with it and hearing from you about the guys you know that did certainly is helpful. I think both systems have their drawbacks though.

I'll probably give the long arms a shot. obviously i can't go back from that decision but i can always go leafs afterwards!!

and trackbar is taken care of. the steering is next on the list to be replaced. Probably ordering the JCR 1 ton setup because motion offroad is 4-6 weeks out on them.

Its lacks support for favorable ride quality on road and stregnth on the trail.

On one of my buddies, he totally wasted the frame and axle mounts. Now he is a hard wheeler, but NOT abusive. he is an adult and drives with 20+ years experience wheeling. We swapped out the joints for beefier ones. Got a set of MORE mounts and welded everything up. Two trips later the arm itself was tweaked. Befed the rm by making new one with thicker/ stronger stock. Ripped the mounts off the axle and began cracking the ones on the frame.

We swapped on a home brew set of uppers and that was over a year ago. He is also now able to drive on the road!! From day 1 he was not able to with the 3 link. He couldnt ever drive it a a transportation vehicle..its a wheeler. But sometimes you need to drive a mile or three to the trail head from the trailer parking spot. in the past he DREADED that short drive.

I do not know of to many guys running this three link in competitions. They just don't hold up. Too many unexpected stresses on the upper arm. Everything form stock has its drawbacks and many we are willing to accept and put up with.

Your right about the caster drawback on radius arms. Again, looking at them form a wheeling stand point. one would say, SO WHAT, your traveling at 10mph TOPS. Who cares about caster. But, Drive it daily on the street and another group of different idosyncracies arise.

I am not trying to diswade one way or another, just further inform guys of some things that are not spoken about ot mentioned in the manuels form the manufactures. Nothing here say here either, although I have read others simular experiences, these are first hand experiences form my days on the trail wheeling. I am sure there are guys out there running them with little to no problems. These are meerely my experiences.

CW

you do realize also that the RK kit is only for like 92 and newer they say that i will push your front axle forward like an 1" or so but also the DB do the same thing.

I love the beef that RK has and at 600 shipped or what ever I say buy it run it if you like it keep it. If not pull it off and sell it to me for like half and try the drop brackets. Or just go TnT radius arm kit it does have the skid plate and every thing in one set up. But you are going to be push 800 to 1000 for that kit but it is beefy and flexes out really well and from what Comanche on 33 says is that his truck rides great and handle great on the road.

Or just go TnT radius arm kit it does have the skid plate and every thing in one set up. But you are going to be push 800 to 1000 for that kit but it is beefy and flexes out really well and from what Comanche on 33 says is that his truck rides great and handle great on the road.

that does look like a sweet kit.. a grand is out of the budget though for sure.

well you are all killing me here.... seriously...

fine, TNT long arm kit it is..

but for the next two month Drop Brackets.

can get them new 250 out the door so screw it. I already have all the arms

I'm 3/4 of the way to the TNT kit but i'll get the DBs and 1 ton jcr steering today then save for the TNT kit.

man, 3 pages of do's and don't's. make it tough.

so the debate is tnt or stay DBs now. shall we start over??

new thread??

IIRC.. the only drilling was to open up a bolt hole for a larger bolt....

I am @ work, I can check my directions for you (Where is yours?) if no one else answers first. I'll be home in a couple three hours..

Maybe the pics in my build up will help?? Hot link is in my sig.

CW

Your pic is so close.. I do not recognise what your showing us...

Did you check out my post? Did it help any??

CW

Is that a shot of the upper mounting point from the inside out?

If so, All I can figure was there was some binding. Did you take the time to clean the mud and debris from the CA pockets? Did you have all other bolts loose? Unless something was tweaked on your truck...I cannot think of what this was caused by.

Here is a shot of the underside of mine, right aft the DB install.

Also here is a link to my photobucket account.

NAME: cwlongshot

PASSWORD: jeep

Glad you got it on and its working well for ya!!!

CW

yeah i am not sure why they would not bolt right up. both passenger and driver side had same issue. I elongated the hole and got them on though. had all the bolts lose and cleaned most everything. also took the time to rebuild the lower control arms i got used. replaced the super flex bushings. seems to have helped out alot.

still not getting much caster on it though. might cut 1" off my adjustable upper arms to thread them down some more.