Running Boards

WORST POSSIBLE THING YOU CAN PUT ON YOUR COMANCHE.

they'll ROT your rockers out in no time. I had a seemingly nice comanche and it @#$%ed the rockers up like you wouldn't believe.

if you're putting them on, cut the aluminum off by about 4" on the top part, and replace it with metal hangers...that will reduce rust possibilities.

WORST POSSIBLE THING YOU CAN PUT ON YOUR COMANCHE.

they'll ROT your rockers out in no time. I had a seemingly nice comanche and it @#$% the rockers up like you wouldn't believe.

if you're putting them on, cut the aluminum off by about 4" on the top part, and replace it with metal hangers...that will reduce rust possibilities.

x2. my old 88 had them on it when i bought it and the first thing i did to it was rip them off. luckily i saved it from rusting.

running boards rot rockers?

I had a set of Mr Runningboard runners on on my manche when I first got it, they SAVED the rockers, as they went from front Wheelwell to rear one. The mounted underneath though, so the rockers sat above them.

Rockers

____/

|

|

|

_______ <----- Running board

running boards rot rockers?

I had a set of Mr Runningboard runners on on my manche when I first got it, they SAVED the rockers, as they went from front Wheelwell to rear one. The mounted underneath though, so the rockers sat above them.

Rockers

____/

|

|

|

_______ <----- Running board

yes, they do. they bolt to the rockers, aluminum on steel causes strange oxidization which turns into rust. not to mention that any $#!&amp; that gets up behind the sidesteps (running boards) is not easily cleaned out unless you hoist the vehicile. most people wouldn't take the effort.

take a look at my 89 that TNT has. classic example. on first glance she looks like a real beaut...then you get up behind and the inside of the box is shot (found this out afterwards), and the rockers are completely done for.

I just purchased NOS factory running boards for the comanche but it didn't come with directions. Can anyone post some pics for me. Thanks. :oops:

Not to be disagreeable, but his question was could anyone show him some pic's to see how they are mounted. I think it is good that you have told him they are not the best thing he can do, however I kinda feel bad that with all the negatives, he might be regreting his purchase. Sure we are all mature adults, but when you walk up to someone, "Hey look what I got", and the reply is "That's the worst thing ever", it may not sit well with some people. Please do not read into this or think I'm pointing fingers at anyone. Just my observation that we have not answered his question for help.

I wish I could help you out, but I haven't even seen a MJ up close with running boards nor doing a search of the web could find out anything either.

:cheers:

First, i would like to thank everyone for their comments. Now that I now what issues they can bring I may change my mind. I didn't realy pay that much for them anyway. Oh, and by the way mfpdm it's 'she' ;) and thanks for helping me out

First, i would like to thank everyone for their comments. Now that I now what issues they can bring I may change my mind. I didn't realy pay that much for them anyway. Oh, and by the way mfpdm it's 'she' ;) and thanks for helping me out

doh :oops: My apologies. :thumbsup: And your welcome. :cheers:

uh...ok. here's pics installed on my 89 when I got it

n69205416_32017616_7672.jpg

n69205416_32022040_6633.jpg

this is what they caused

n69205416_32027282_5926.jpg

n69205416_32027283_6198.jpg

n69205416_32027284_6464.jpg

here is the floor for reference to how clean the truck was kept

n69205416_32027287_7230.jpg

n69205416_32027288_7494.jpg

here is how far i had to cut it out b/c they were gone underneath

n69205416_32087981_6270.jpg

n69205416_32087982_6499.jpg

n69205416_32087983_6737.jpg

and there was more on the inner side of the pinch seams that had to be cut out. it wasn't pretty.

anyways, I'm not suggesting that you not install them. I'm suggesting that you cut the 2.5" or 3" of upright support (that goes from the running board to the pinch weld) off the running boards, and use steel hangers and stainless bolts to secure it instead.

oh, they have the bracketry that goes back to the frame rail (3 brackets), and the 5 or so bolts that bolt through the pinch weld which support them. not too big of a deal, but wasn't very fun to remove.

YIKES.... I'm thinking twice about them. It won't be till summer if I do but them on. Any other nerf bars out there fit the comanche? Does anyone know if the SmittyBuilt universal single steps would fit on the comanche?

YIKES.... I'm thinking twice about them. It won't be till summer if I do but them on. Any other nerf bars out there fit the comanche? Does anyone know if the SmittyBuilt universal single steps would fit on the comanche?

DON'T think twice about them. if you like the look, it's easy enough to prevent that kind of rust by eliminating the steel-on-aluminum contact. cut off a couple inches from the "hanger" portion of it, and build your own steel hangers then use stainless.

as I said, I'm not sayin DON'T install them. I'm saying take preventative measures if you want your truck to stick around for awhile.