1997+ Interior Reference images & Dimensions

I am currently doing a 1997+ interior swap, and although there are already good write-ups on the topic, I thought I would drop my photos and reference dimensions of many applicable dims.

I will try and label each one and describe anything worth noting.

Each will be its own post in this thread for searching ease.

Some photos uploaded upside-down, too lazy to fix, just keep that in mind when scratching your head LOL

Some of the photos got downsized, But I have uploaded all full size photos in this shared public link

Mods, feel free to pin!

Do you think it’s easier to patch in the necessary sections or just transplant a big chunk of the firewall? I always wanted to go that route on mine and swap the 97+ dash, doors and center console (maybe I still should???). I do dislike the look of the later style door mirrors though :laugh:

46 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Do you think it’s easier to patch in the necessary sections or just transplant a big chunk of the firewall? I always wanted to go that route on mine and swap the 97+ dash, doors and center console (maybe I still should???). I do dislike the look of the later style door mirrors though :laugh:

Depends on the level of skill I guess. I'm very comfortable cutting and welding and going for a factory like finish on the firewall, so cutting and welding is the route for me.

In theory, it is totally possible and easier to cut and screw the new section on with self tappers if that's where the installers skills are limited

On 4/29/2024 at 7:21 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

on mine I filled the unused holes in the firewall and cut new ones....after all the work it came out great. But if I did it again I'd be tempted to just cut the entire firewall out and weld in the XJ one. It actually might be easier.

I had the best-case scenario; complete 98 XJ parked nose-to-nose in front of my MJ so it was easy to jump back and forth measuring and figuring things out.

I couldn’t bring myself to run those horrible looking airbag steering wheels when I’d considered the swap previously but now I see they can be swapped with a nicer wheel. I may end up just going doors and center console perhaps?? Not sure yet. I’m thinking though that if I do go this route, I’ll keep my painless wiring setup and integrate the necessary connection with the newer dash. Probably swap the cluster to the Dakota digital setup so I can delete the ecu for the gauges. :dunno:

Would be neat if a template could be made that one could just overlay on the firewall for this swap. I think the pictures referenced above is going to be super helpful for sure. 

If I keep my painless wiring setup, I’m assuming I may be able to do fewer firewall mods as I wouldn’t be using the XJ wiring aside from some of the connectors. 

5 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I couldn’t bring myself to run those horrible looking airbag steering wheels when I’d considered the swap previously but now I see they can be swapped with a nicer wheel. I may end up just going doors and center console perhaps?? Not sure yet. I’m thinking though that if I do go this route, I’ll keep my painless wiring setup and integrate the necessary connection with the newer dash. Probably swap the cluster to the Dakota digital setup so I can delete the ecu for the gauges. :dunno:

Would be neat if a template could be made that one could just overlay on the firewall for this swap. I think the pictures referenced above is going to be super helpful for sure. 

If I keep my painless wiring setup, I’m assuming I may be able to do fewer firewall mods as I wouldn’t be using the XJ wiring aside from some of the connectors. 

I have my template that I made for the booster/Steering/Bulkhead connector, might be willing to pass it on after I am done with it

The only other holes are for the HVAC box, and a couple pass thru grommets, all pretty generic hole saw solutions. 

As for the HVAC foam insulator , easiest to just use the foam off the older era HVAC box on the newer style HVAC box