Paint or bedliner?

4 minutes ago, PCO6 said:

I bought the LJ in 2016.   I had a TJ at the time and sold it 2 years ago.   Both were their original Bright Silver metallic.   The paint on the LJ was in good shape but rust had set in.   I had to replace the front fenders and windshield frame plus some sheet metal around the rear wheel arches.   There's a small amount of filler there but that's it.   I'd already done the driver's side floor and torque box sheet metal but they didn't need to be painted body colour.   I painted the fenders, windshield frame, cowl, doors and tailgate separately.   The tub including the door jambs were painted together, one side and then the other and the hood separately.   

Rather than take everything down to bare metal and prime it I simply scuffed the original paint with 3M pads to remove the gloss and etch the surface.  Original paint forms a good base if it's in good shape and I painted the enamel right over that.   I haven't sprayed metallic in a long time and didn't like doing it then so I went with enamel - single stage, no clear coat.  There's about 4 coats on it, each wet sanded and the final coat was left as is.   I haven't buffed it out and am not sure if I will.  There's one minor run, which I'll get around to fixing, but no orange peel.

The trailer was mostly built when I started to strip down the LJ.   I knew I was going to paint it grey and when done I just kept on going with the LJ. 

It looks great! I’ll definitely consider it for my MJ, I’ve seen some videos and seems doable (for my skills), of course prep is the key. I may do my LJ rocker sliders and ARB bumper first, I was thinking about raptorlining it but i like the smooth look of the Rustoleum. Thanks for the tips 

5 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

It looks great! I’ll definitely consider it for my MJ, I’ve seen some videos and seems doable (for my skills), of course prep is the key. I may do my LJ rocker sliders and ARB bumper first, I was thinking about raptorlining it but i like the smooth look of the Rustoleum. Thanks for the tips 

You're very welcome.  There are lots of good YouTube videos that deal with equipment, techniques, products, pressures, mixing ratios, etc.   BTW - I used a $40 gun from Princess Auto (like Harbor Freight) which is far from what a pro would use but fine for what I needed.    Good Luck!

14 minutes ago, PCO6 said:

You're very welcome.  There are lots of good YouTube videos that deal with equipment, techniques, products, pressures, mixing ratios, etc.   BTW - I used a $40 gun from Princess Auto (like Harbor Freight) which is far from what a pro would use but fine for what I needed.    Good Luck!

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but Monstaliner has held up great for me. Did my topper in white a couple years ago and my Comanche last year. 

A hard bedliner like raptor or Monstaliner isn't difficult to remove, you use a "bondo eater" (geared rotary sander) and an aggressive grit paper. Something like Rhino or the other professional ones, they're a bit tougher due to the thickness of the coating. 

Truck is super dirty but was hauling a trailer with it last weekend. Took a single gallon of Monstaliner to complete, all in for the coating and gun was like $200. Reds and orange are most likely to fade, all the other colors are very UV fast, and can be cleared over for more protection if you're concerned. 

20240225_142921.jpg

20240229_220305.jpg

On 3/3/2024 at 9:36 PM, Tex06 said:

Late to the party, but Monstaliner has held up great for me. Did my topper in white a couple years ago and my Comanche last year. 

A hard bedliner like raptor or Monstaliner isn't difficult to remove, you use a "bondo eater" (geared rotary sander) and an aggressive grit paper. Something like Rhino or the other professional ones, they're a bit tougher due to the thickness of the coating. 

Truck is super dirty but was hauling a trailer with it last weekend. Took a single gallon of Monstaliner to complete, all in for the coating and gun was like $200. Reds and orange are most likely to fade, all the other colors are very UV fast, and can be cleared over for more protection if you're concerned. 

20240225_142921.jpg

20240229_220305.jpg

Looks very good! I’m still deciding to go with a smooth Monstaliner finish or paint

I went the Raptor Liner route on my JKU.  I did a nice fine texture that had a matte look to it.  I found it easy to fix small dents and such.  Always got compliments on how nice it looked.  

resized.jpg

18 hours ago, Colt6920 said:

I went the Raptor Liner route on my JKU.  I did a nice fine texture that had a matte look to it.  I found it easy to fix small dents and such.  Always got compliments on how nice it looked.  

resized.jpg

Looks good, especially with the red accents. I did my undercarriage in black raptorliner with red accents (bolts, track bar, etc) on my LJ. Doing the same on my MJ, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 11:44 PM, Elwiscon said:

Looks very good! I’m still deciding to go with a smooth Monstaliner finish or paint

I don't know how you'd do a smooth finish with Monstaliner. Mine is sprayed with a very fine texture, but it's definitely not smooth. 

Rolled would end up even "rougher".... the hills and valleys are less but bigger. Like driving thru rolling hills on asphalt as opposed to a flat gravel road. 

11 hours ago, Tex06 said:

I don't know how you'd do a smooth finish with Monstaliner. Mine is sprayed with a very fine texture, but it's definitely not smooth. 

Rolled would end up even "rougher".... the hills and valleys are less but bigger. Like driving thru rolling hills on asphalt as opposed to a flat gravel road. 

I think it can be thinned and sprayed,  but decided to get a paintjob instead, will do Raptorliner on the bed

18 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

I think it can be thinned and sprayed,  but decided to get a paintjob instead, will do Raptorliner on the bed

I think that’s the right choice. I did the same and have been very happy with it. 

22 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I think that’s the right choice. I did the same and have been very happy with it. 

I’m not planning to do heavy off roading on it, it’ll be an everyday truck, so I’ll get it painted by a pro

21 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

I’m not planning to do heavy off roading on it, it’ll be an everyday truck, so I’ll get it painted by a pro

Be sure to post up pictures of the progress!

I’ve been considering lining my TJ Sahara by mixing up some tintable liner in moss green and saddle for the top. There’s no body work coverup at all I just don’t have access to an adequate paint booth or spray equipment where it’s at. I have sprayed with a Wagner Moto Coat sprayer under a canopy outdoors with decent success but it required a lot of cutting and buffing afterwards to look good. 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:38 PM, 89 MJ said:

Be sure to post up pictures of the progress!

Definitely! Just raptorlined the floorboards and installed engine mounts this weekend, still have some under-hood parts to replace, as the front end is currently disassembled 

IMG_8393.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

Definitely! Just raptorlined the floorboards and installed engine mounts this weekend, still have some under-hood parts to replace, as the front end is currently disassembled 

IMG_8393.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

Looks good! That raptor liner is a good product. My dad has been using it well over 10 years on the underside of his restorations, along with the inside of his YJ tub and the bed of my MJ. All of which have held up very well. 

16 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Looks good! That raptor liner is a good product. My dad has been using it well over 10 years on the underside of his restorations, along with the inside of his YJ tub and the bed of my MJ. All of which have held up very well. 

I used it on my LJ undercarriage and interior and on the Comanche undercarriage, definitely helps to minimize rust and looks good. I usually do 2-3 light coats. I’ll do my comanche bed once I get it painted and the interior finished.

IMG_6980.jpeg

IMG_7295.jpeg

IMG_9404.jpeg

IMG_7459.jpeg

IMG_9391.jpeg