91 4x4 iliminator shorted 5spd 4L HO

Hello,  brand new here and trying to gather info on my recenty aqured comanche.  It's a 1991 iliminator short bed 4x4 5spd 4L HO with bucket seats.   I've been doing a bit of reading and I gather it's quite a rare bird.  I read somewhere that someone one here can get a factory build sheet from my Vin? I will try to get some pics soon.  It's got 140k miles, and I got it from the original owner.  It's got rust on driver floor pan and a little in the rockers, but overall a very rust free original condition rig.  Especially considering its been in alaska It's whole life.  It runs and drives pretty good,  but I'm excited to get it in the shop and get working on it.  

Welcome! Add the VIN to the registry. 91-92 MJ are very rare and being a eliminator short bed even more so. As for rust, key parts makes new floorboards (if they are rusted that bad). These tend to rot from the inside out so there is probably a lot more rust lurking but you won't know until you start diving in. Post pics and ask away! 

It runs well.  It always cranks for a few seconds before it fires up,  but that kinda seems normal for the 4.0?? It's been sitting for most of the last 12 years or so,  only getting driven once or twice a year, so it needs some TLC.  Mostly in the electrical department.  

Wipers, headlights and radio are all out. Other than that, it needs floor pans, rockers (they're not thR bad at all yet), exhaust work, and I need to straiten out the back bumper.  I'm just glad it's not a rust bucket.   I've been eyeing this rig for a few years now.  I've asked them over the years,  but they were just not ready to let it go.  Finally they wanted more space in the driveway for a new rig.  Can't wait to get to work on it,  but I've got to many projects lol I need to sell some. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:46 AM, Elm Robichaud said:

It runs well.  It always cranks for a few seconds before it fires up,  but that kinda seems normal for the 4.0??

perfectly normal. :L:   although there are things that can cause it to be even longer (failing CPS signal for example)