1992 Horn….again

Aight so here we are again

I've been doing research on the horn infamous horn problem however, my situation had a little bit of a twist 

When I bought the truck the previous owner had an alarm system hooked up to the factory horns and they worked, but the actual horn did not, only when the alarm went off. Eventually the alarm system stopped working altogether and with it went the horns. 

that alarm system turned out to be wired a little less than ideal and I was worried about a possible fire so I just payed someone to re do the whole thing. He installed one of those little chirp alarms that come with the kit and I was happy with the noise. 

problem is now I have no idea what wires were cut, or disconnected in order to make that happen. Any leads as to what color wires are under the dash near the column? That’s where all the wiring was done but I don’t even know where to start 

13 hours ago, Aidenmoreno3 said:

Aight so here we are again

I've been doing research on the horn infamous horn problem however, my situation had a little bit of a twist 

When I bought the truck the previous owner had an alarm system hooked up to the factory horns and they worked, but the actual horn did not, only when the alarm went off. Eventually the alarm system stopped working altogether and with it went the horns. 

that alarm system turned out to be wired a little less than ideal and I was worried about a possible fire so I just payed someone to re do the whole thing. He installed one of those little chirp alarms that come with the kit and I was happy with the noise. 

problem is now I have no idea what wires were cut, or disconnected in order to make that happen. Any leads as to what color wires are under the dash near the column? That’s where all the wiring was done but I don’t even know where to start 

Do you just need a copy of the 92 wiring diagram? I have one, just have to figure out where it is....

Anything happen when you push the horn button?

The horn button switches the ground side of a relay, effectively by shorting to the steering column. 
The horn relay is under the dash, it looks like any other relay but when you pull it out it only has three prongs on it. I can’t remember off the top of my head, I think it’s in a block of two, maybe three others. I think they’re supposed to be velcroed to the lower dash but mine were just loose. 

Of the three pins, one has constant power, one should have ground when you push the horn button, and the other should have some continuity to ground via the horn(s) and should make them sound if you put power to it.

When I got my first MJ the horn didn’t work. The guy I bought it from said it needed a new relay. In reality there were actually pieces missing for the horn switch, specifically that parts that go through the steering wheel. When I was correcting that I discovered just how easy it is to damage those bits that go through the steering wheel.

On 1/16/2024 at 9:43 AM, Tex06 said:

Do you just need a copy of the 92 wiring diagram? I have one, just have to figure out where it is....

I do have it, I’m just not seeing the exact colors coming off of the same areas that the diagram is showing me