What is this connector and where does it go?

I was plowing some really deep snow and when I looked under the truck afterwards (because of a blown lower rad hose-but that’s a different story! ) and saw this dangling right behind the front differential on the driver side. Being an old geezer and lying on the freezing snow, I couldn’t see anywhere obvious that it should go. Hopefully somebody can recognize it and point me in the right direction.

Thanks of course!

IMG_1899.jpeg

1 hour ago, vfb said:

I was plowing some really deep snow and when I looked under the truck afterwards (because of a blown lower rad hose-but that’s a different story! ) and saw this dangling right behind the front differential on the driver side. Being an old geezer and lying on the freezing snow, I couldn’t see anywhere obvious that it should go. Hopefully somebody can recognize it and point me in the right direction.

Thanks of course!

IMG_1899.jpeg

If it's on the drivers side and you drive on the left side, it's your O2 sensor! Here's one with the same style slots on the o2 sensor.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for those replies.
It’s an 89 4.0 and yes, left hand driver. 
To be honest, I’m such a novice that I’m not sure whether the oxygen sensor is there or not.  I’ll check though. The main question of course is whether this is an essential thing, or could I get through the winter plowing my driveway without it?

5 hours ago, vfb said:

Thanks for those replies.
It’s an 89 4.0 and yes, left hand driver. 
To be honest, I’m such a novice that I’m not sure whether the oxygen sensor is there or not.  I’ll check though. The main question of course is whether this is an essential thing, or could I get through the winter plowing my driveway without it?

It will run but it will run better and a lot more efficiently with a working oxygen sensor.

Thanks. That’s pretty much what I imagined. Took a look and I doubt if it’s ever been changed so probably will be a struggle to get out. Might just wait until the weather warms up a bit. 

It will continue to run but, without the O2 sensor, it will never switch into closed loop mode for fuel trim. As Pizzaman09 already commented, it will run better with an O2 sensor. If you only use it to plow your driveway you'll be okay, but if you actually use the truck to drive anywhere you'll get better performance and better fuel economy if you replace it.

Thanks for the guidance and advice guys. Given how busted the old one looks it’s probably been non functional for a while and yes for now just plowing myself and neighbours so I’ll wait to deal with it 

In a tangental question is there anything else in that harness line running down the left side of the engine that would prevent it from running?  My speedo cable came loose and wrapped around my front drive shaft, the part of the  harness that goes down the drivers side of the engine was severed.  It would turn over but not start.  I can see at least 4 wires in my poor photo but the vehicle is 90 mins away.  If it will run without the O2 sensor what else was cut in that loom?