Electrical Issues

Bottom line up front... My Comanche will not start, neither the engine or the accessories.

About a year ago, the truck stopped running while I was driving. I tried to restart the engine with no luck.

I have confirmed that the battery, alternator, and starter motor are all good and functioning normally.

Also, I understand that the clutch master cylinder is above the fuse box. There is no evidence that it is leaking. Also, all the fuses are good.

My next course of action is to replace the ignition switch. I am in the process now. I did notice some heat damage on one of the connectors.

Unfortunately, my Comanche has been sitting for a while. I haven't been able to address any of the issues due to work and life. Any advice on the situation is much appreciated. Thank you.

PXL_20231213_183623871.jpg.45102af5cd2fe6395d360a4e7855d32d.jpg

Okay, so I am starting to do some back-tracking.... As I said I have had the truck sitting for quite a while so I am trying to remember exactly what happened.

1. One day I was driving it in the late afternoon. I realized as it started to get dark, the headlights wouldn't turn on.

2. The next day, it stalled out on me while I was driving it. I coasted to the side of the road. I do remember trying to start the engine, but it wouldnt catch. At that point, it would still turn. I ended up getting it towed.

3. Because of the headlight issues the previous day, I decided it must be the alternator. I took the alternator out and got it tested at an auto parts store. They told me it was still working well.

4. After putting the alternator back in, nothing happens when I turn the key. Well, except a buzzing sound.

As I said, I have checked the battery and starter motor as well. It seems like I made the problem worse when I took the alternator out and put it back in. I did visibly check to make sure it was in correctly. Now, I am going to retrace my steps with the alternator.

Okay, so I have just been staring at my engine bay and trying to trace wires with my Haynes manual. The colors are not matching.

I noticed that a fusible link is completely blown. I don't know what it goes to or what the rating is. 

image.jpeg.c5ea27c76710c7f97c1f306b86ea850d.jpeg

Also, just to make sure, this is the starter relay, correct? (The metal box at the top of the picture, where a bunch of wires are terminating)

image.jpeg.30f687fd09cec3b09e1a75005db9af21.jpeg

Okay, so I am still scratching my head over this no crank/no start issue. Here are the things I have ruled out:

- Battery is not dead

- Starter motor/solenoid are not broken

- Ignition switch is most likely not broken (brand new)

- Engine is not seized

I have been trying to trace wires in order to find any that are broken or damaged. Other than the blown link I already addressed, I haven't found anything. I BELIEVE I have identified the ignition wire.

image.jpeg.990263b75c1dde8ea69e34298a45a1b2.jpeg

There are two green wires that come out of the starter relay. One is going off to the left and one is going off to the right. The one on the right goes to the starter motor. The one on the left I believe is coming from the ignition switch. My reasoning is that I know there is a green wire coming from the ignition switch, and it makes sense if it is the same color as the one going to the starter motor.

Right now, the only thing that I can't confirm is working is the starter relay itself. After all, fuses don't burn out on their own. The problem is, a new one is $50. I can't return it if I install it in the vehicle. Does anyone know of a way I can test if it is functioning correctly? 

1 hour ago, Rooster92 said:

Right now, the only thing that I can't confirm is working is the starter relay itself. After all, fuses don't burn out on their own. The problem is, a new one is $50. I can't return it if I install it in the vehicle. Does anyone know of a way I can test if it is functioning correctly? 

Sheesh, we bought this for $24 from Amazon in November 2022. Like you say, $49 now :mad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C7ZZJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

Check your wiring against this. Looks like GRN (IGN) and BLK w/tr are swapped.

You are correct. I have no idea how that could have happened.

Also, I have been testing each of those wires to confirm which one goes to the ignition. I have connected them one by one to a multimeter while turning the key. The sad news is... none of them had a jump in voltage when I tried to crank the engine. Not good.

Good sign.

KEY OFF. Remove the wire from the IGN relay terminal at the Starter Relay (SR). Jump battery voltage to the open terminal on the SR.

CAUTION: VEHICLE COULD LUNGE IF IN GEAR.

Does Starter Motor engage?

6 minutes ago, Rooster92 said:

When I connected the IGN relay terminal straight to the positive end of the battery, nothing happened.

With the wire off, connect battery voltage straight to the SR terminal, on the SR. Not sure here if that's what you did. Use CAUTION.