Electrical Issues

2 minutes ago, Rooster92 said:

Also, connected + straight to G. That engaged the starter motor as well.

Don't understand that one, unless SR case is shorted to GND internally. Still doesn't answer why you needed to connect GND terminal to ground or why you have no + on the IGN wire during engine CRANK.

1 minute ago, Ωhm said:

Don't understand that one, unless SR case is shorted to GND internally. Still doesn't answer why you needed to connect GND terminal to ground or why you have no + on the IGN wire during engine CRANK.

Honestly, I believe that the terminals on the SR are mislabled. That is why my wires appeared to be backwards on the original picture I took. I also saw a video on youtube of a guy working on an XJ... he mentions something similar around the 4:10 mark.

https://youtu.be/baU6_wBkk8k

@NickInTimeFilms is a big time JEEP RENIX guy. His vehicle was an AUTO trans. With trans selector NOT in P or N, 5vdc from the ECU could appear on the SR GND wire. Only a continuity test between the IGN SW (C267_5) and the "I" wire at the SR will prove out the wiring. NOTE: C267 can be labled pin5 or pinS, depending on where you look.

1033438114_C267_C268IgnitionSwitch.jpg.f1feda37cf6771ffdaf85057505f9f8f.jpg

1 hour ago, Rooster92 said:

I got a positive continuity check on both 5  and Ground. 

If both continuity checks between (C267_5 - SR "I" wire) and (SR GND wire - battery negative) are 0Ωs, then I'd disconnect all wiring at the SR and look for continuity between each terminal and SR metal case.

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Still doesn't answer why you needed to connect GND terminal to ground or why you have no + on the IGN wire during engine CRANK.

Still a problem here.

I do not believe there is an issue with the SR.

Since the wire is continuous from the IGN switch all the way to the SR, I figured the issue must be on the battery side. There is no power flowing from the IGN switch to the SR. This schematic shows the red wire going from the IGN switch to the SR, and then from there it goes to the battery.

image.jpeg.6f8ec16daf6a36134e6da7b63f0c277c.jpeg

As it turns out, that is continous as well. So, we have a continous wire from the battery, to the SR, to the IGN switch. We also have a continuous wire from the IGN switch to the IGN terminal on the SR. All that is left is to connect the two. So I went ahead and jumped it. Once I connected the red to green, the engine turned. As I understand it, that only leaves one possible point of failure:

The IGN switch.

Like I said earlier, I replaced that aready. So, its either a bad switch out of the box (unlikely) OR I installed it incorrectly (much more likely). Either way, I am going to step away from it until tomorrow. 

53 minutes ago, Rooster92 said:

I do not believe there is an issue with the SR.

Since the wire is continuous from the IGN switch all the way to the SR, I figured the issue must be on the battery side. There is no power flowing from the IGN switch to the SR. This schematic shows the red wire going from the IGN switch to the SR, and then from there it goes to the battery.

image.jpeg.6f8ec16daf6a36134e6da7b63f0c277c.jpeg

As it turns out, that is continous as well. So, we have a continous wire from the battery, to the SR, to the IGN switch. We also have a continuous wire from the IGN switch to the IGN terminal on the SR. All that is left is to connect the two. So I went ahead and jumped it. Once I connected the red to green, the engine turned. As I understand it, that only leaves one possible point of failure:

The IGN switch.

Like I said earlier, I replaced that aready. So, its either a bad switch out of the box (unlikely) OR I installed it incorrectly (much more likely). Either way, I am going to step away from it until tomorrow. 

It is very easy to install that ignition switch incorrectly.  I have done that already.  One spot off, and it won't slide the switch far enough to hit the "Start" contacts.  If you fixed that fusible link AND installed that ignition switch at the same time, and its not installed correctly, that may be your problem.