Turn signal gremlin

Hey guys, just go the beast back and I have been fighting a bit of a turn signal gremlin. Turn signal works just fine, but when I turn on my lights, my green arrow stays lit. Turn them off, it goes away. I’m guessing it’s a wiring issue or something. I haven’t had a chance to take anything apart yet so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

It’s probably corrosion in the turn signal socket. You can try to clean the contacts, but you might be better off finding the later style turn signal sockets and splicing them in. That’s what I did, and I’ve had no problems since. 

I'm not sure what year it changed, maybe ‘91, but the later ones are sealed better from the weather. 

Also there’s this:

On 10/6/2010 at 8:54 AM, JeepinDev89 said:

Well, it seems that in the past week I have seen many others with problems like mine. Either no working turn signals, the blinker light stays on, whatever it it related to lights up front this simple and easy swap can make that all go away.

First you are going to need a Dorman P/N 84716 (looks a little like this)

/uploads/archive/549cf1dad0214963fa0c3a958d890920/1d7ee31e009fad0dc161f916805a33f8.jpg

/uploads/archive/549cf1dad0214963fa0c3a958d890920/266d553f7b3ca6a6b5a2ae89bd150a06.jpg

After you have that you going to need a wire stripper/cutter/crimper.

When I did this i took the whole front header panel off and disconnected the turn signal and headlight wiring harness. Although, it can be done by just removing the headlight bezel on the bad side with some screws. 2 in the orange side marker and two or three in the actual bezel (mine only had two but looked like one had been broken off before)

After removing the bezel you are left with the rectangular turn signal. Simply unscrew the screws one on either side and pull it out just far enough to reach in there and turn the socket to come out of the housing. After this is done, take your wire cutters and cut just behind the black rubber bushings on the old/bad socket.

After that is complete Strip the wires (18 gauge) and match them accordingly. New BLUE to old GREY. New BROWN to old BLUE. And New Black to old Black. after that is said and done crimp the wires using the supplied wire connectors and put a bulb in for a test run. If everything checks out fine and all is good, I recomemnd that you wrap the crimped wires with some eletrical tape to help them last longer.

And you should be all good. Hope this helps guys. Wish I had more pics but I am stuck at work until about 12 today so I may post more pics afterwards.

Thanks

Devin

12 hours ago, GonzoTheGreat said:

It’s probably corrosion in the turn signal socket. You can try to clean the contacts, but you might be better off finding the later style turn signal sockets and splicing them in. That’s what I did, and I’ve had no problems since. 

I'm not sure what year it changed, maybe ‘91, but the later ones are sealed better from the weather. 

Wouldn’t the turn signal not work at all? Everything works fine but just when I pull out the headlight knob the arrow stays lit

13 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

No, that would not be the case. 

These guys are giving you excellent advice. 

The connector OHM points out could also be the issue. 

It's gonna be something of a hunt to find this using the process of elimination. 

Thanks Cruiser, I will add it to my list of to dos on the beast. If it’s not one thing it’s another. LOL