Wiring harness

Alright, I've been scouring the internet and I can't seem to find replacement wiring harnesses for the ol girl. The PO spliced the hell outta the engine wiring harness and my relays and lights are a mess. My headlights, interior lights, and rear lights all need work. They've all failed 1 by 1. No mechanic has been able to trace out the issues and I don't have the time to find the gremlins in the system. My fans don't cycle properly anymore and my temp gauge quit working. Now it won't start either. Most of these could be simple but anyway, the simple solution would be to replace the old wiring harness with one that doesn't have 50 splices and bypasses in it. All electronics seem to be quitting on me. I can't keep up. I don't know that anyone makes a harness for these however. Parts are nearly impossible to come by since all the salvage yards have dried up. Anyone have suggestions where to look? Before anyone says just get a manual and trace it out, that just isn't gonna happen right now. Maybe one day in the future I will but that isn't in the cards right now. 

Used only. 

• HOrnbrodObsessive Comanche Disorder
  • Moderators
  • staff.png

New members to the forum, and some longtime members too, post technical questions in this forum but do not provide specifics of the MJ they are referring to. Like:

Year of Manufacture
Engine
Drivetrain
Body Style
Etc., Etc.

These details are necessary for responders to accurately answer your questions without guessing or having to ask what are the specifics of the MJ you are referring to. You can add these details easily and permanently by creating a signature or adding your truck details to your existing signature. Here's how to do it:

1. Click on the upper RH icon to open the drop-down menu
2. Click on Account, then Account Settings
3. In the Settings menu click on Signature

4. Compose your signature, or add to your existing signature

5. When complete, click Save

With tapatalk you have to go to the main page where it shows you the icons of the groups you are in. at the top there should be an icon of a person, then go to settings, then signature. Then you can add a signature to the group you want. But it will only add the signature when you use tapatalk, if you ever log in on a computer it will not input the signature.

You might include year and if auto or manual. I would also try Car-Parts.inc   . Possibly one of the Jeep Only Junk Yards. I used Davey's Jeeps in OH a long time ago. Aslo, Lot54 Pick n Pull has pickers on their site, for a fee.

Yeah I understand and thought about adding info. If there are no places to go anymore and no one makes aftermarket, the specifics don't really matter unless someone here has extras lying around. I don't think I'm going to find any. Everything that old has been picked clean and scrapped. I'll add my info later just in case. 

11 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

You might include year and if auto or manual. I would also try Car-Parts.inc   . Possibly one of the Jeep Only Junk Yards. I used Davey's Jeeps in OH a long time ago. Aslo, Lot54 Pick n Pull has pickers on their site, for a fee.

75sv1, not to hijack the thread, but what is Lot 54 at Pick n Pull? 

9 hours ago, SIERRA051 said:

Yeah I understand and thought about adding info. If there are no places to go anymore and no one makes aftermarket, the specifics don't really matter unless someone here has extras lying around. I don't think I'm going to find any. Everything that old has been picked clean and scrapped. I'll add my info later just in case. 

But it does matter if you would like someone to chime in at this point with a possible replacement harness for you...............

Why not just pull out your harness and start cleaning it up? I swapped in a painless 23 circuit harness but it took plenty of custom work. A wanted ad here in the classifieds will likely have good success also. There also those FB Comanche parts groups that will likely have some as well.

What year, engine and tranny do you have? 

Yeah, I added the info I know so the little quips aren't helpful. I don't know what year the motor or transmission is since I didn't put them in. I know the drive train has been replaced. Nothing is stock except the body. The harness is cut and spliced beyond recognition. I'll have to post a picture later. Maybe it just looks like a nightmare because I've never messed with that stuff much. 

4.0 Engine date codes

The date code is on the passenger side of the engine, on the block, just forward and up from the distributor on a machined flat surface.

The digits of the code identify:
 1st Digit-The year (8 = 1998). 
 2nd & 3rd Digits-The month (01 - 12). 
 4th & 5th Digits-The engine type/fuel system/compression ratio (MX = A 4.0 Liter (242 CID) 8.7:1 compression ratio engine with a multi-point fuel injection system). 
 6th & 7th Digits-The day of engine build (01 - 31). 
1. FOR EXAMPLE: Code * 801MX12 * identifies a 4.0 Liter (242 CID) engine with a multi-point fuel injection system, 8.7:1 compression ratio and built on January 12, 1998. 

Photos would be handy for us.