Opinion question on white letters out or not...

On 10/29/2023 at 12:24 PM, Pete M said:

it's not BFG that's to blame, but the soft rubber, tall blocks, and intricate pattern can go sideways fast if the alignment is a hair off or driving style or location put extra abuse on the tires.  for example, here in the foothills of GA every tire will be sensitive to outside edge wear simply because there's no such thing as a straight line in our roads. :(  tires here are also prone to what I call "eraser wear" due to the amount of braking we do downhill.  (so named because I use a pencil eraser to describe to people what is happening.  but essentially the individual rubber blocks flex backwards under braking and wear a feathered pattern into the edge and needs to be cross-rotated to be put into the opposite rear spot on the truck to balance it out.)

KO2s may be soft by your standard, but up here they may as well be hockey pucks 😅

Its funny you mention that effect. We see the same only opposite on plow trucks. Constantly pushing under heavy load. 

11 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

KO2s may be soft by your standard, but up here they may as well be hockey pucks 😅

Its funny you mention that effect. We see the same only opposite on plow trucks. Constantly pushing under heavy load. 

I can vouch for that.  mine were a deathtrap in the snow.  I use it as a relative term. :L: 

17 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

What’s crazy about that though is how many people will tell you they’re the best tire they’ve ever run in the snow. The mind boggles.

yup I've heard both sides too. :dunno:  it's not even like southeast michigan has -40 temps either.  they just sucked.  maybe the opinion is based on whatever they had before?  I'd wager that new BFGs are way better than 30k mile summer tires.  :laugh:  I did love my previous gen BFG ATs though (back in '97).  very good in the snow. :L: 

Dig the truck! Pretty much what I'm eventually aiming for. 

My dad is a BFG KO fan boy, has them on every car he owns. Says they get through everything, Best ever, blah blah. I had them on a CJ and a XJ and they sucked in anything other than dry or wet roads. In the CJ they were awful, snow or mud it would constantly get stuck and have no traction, admittedly it wasnt the best tire for the rig though.  I admit, I dig the classic look and what I'm looking for when I do wheels and tires but not my first choice for a wheeling tire.  

I bought a set while on the road, because it was snowing pretty heavily and the 11-year-old nearly bald Kuhmo ATs I was driving on were not great. The KO2’s weren’t a huge improvement.  But I had no complaints about them outside of winter weather, they were a huge improvement in basically every other condition, although they’re the only tires I’ve had break loose on me just on wet asphalt. Honestly my biggest complaint with them is the sidewall… art? Too flashy. 

But bringing this back on topic, I had the white lettres out on my KO2’s. Even though the off-centred white lettres looked off, it didn’t bug me enough to flip them around, which I could have done pretty quickly on my own at no cost. 

I have no plans on driving mine in the winter, I purchased mine for being able to drive up and down grassy or muddy hills on my property while maintaining road manners.  In all of those the KO2s excell at way beyond the cheap LT tires the truck previously had on it.  They definitely don't grip as well in the rain though and squeal hilariously any time you spin them or slide on the.