1988 Shortbed 98 xj swap on 78 bronco axles

Charles

I figured Ill start with my builds.  I don't have alot of time to work on her currently but hope to get back going in the spring.  All these photos are from a couple years ago.  I had to take over my families restaurant and work 50-70hr weeks for the last couple years.

She was a lowered 4cyl 2wd 4speed sport truck with a hole in the block when i bought it.  Still ran-ish.

The rear axle locker is acting up so just been parked.  can't wait to get it going! 

20211221_162601.jpg

20211221_162622.jpg

20211221_162653.jpg

20211221_162714.jpg

20211221_162905.jpg

20211221_162955.jpg

20220102_090413.jpg

I bought a long bed to build up and started acquiring parts a couple years ago.  Ill post that build up next.  Was buying bumpers and axles and that short bed popped up on fb marketplace for like $1200 and I was down there the next day.

Sounds funny but Id daily that around my town.  I might end up swapping the rear locker out for a selectable one.  Its a yukon but its getting stuck locked open.  I bought the axles from a guy near the coast and I'm afraid salt water might have gotten into it.  Its a ford 9 inch so need to pull the 3rd member as it locks and unlocks violently.  IDK whats up.  He told me all the gearing was new and new locker.  Front seems solid.  Its all trussed and seems to be built right.  Welding looks excellent.

From what I can gather I think the paint code is that AMC green.  Previous owner didnt know as the owner before him painted it. 

I still have the OG grill thats painted so might swap that back over.  It got a full 98 interior / electric / drivetrain.  Ive added stupid parts like rcvs and the rockjock sways last year just to try and get back into the mood.  That whole build has like 30 miles on her.  The first time the axle unlocked it started free rolling in park and scared the crap out of me.  IDK.  I need to inspect it.  Yukon thought the axle spline count might be wrong but it free spins when its stuck open.  Doing figure 8's will get it back into operation.  The first 20 miles it acted right and one day a loud bang and its been odd since.  Does amazing offroad on my land.  I built like a 1/2 mile trail that needs at least 35's but its rough.  Swallowed up a locked zj build on 35's a couple years ago.  Got pinned up on a tree and had to take a chainsaw with the winch to get it out.