1 of 1 Jeep J10 Extended Cab FACTORY Prototype Pickup

WahooSteeler

It is cool, but it has a Wagoneer roof on it, not a truck roof. Although that would probably be the most economical way of making an extended cab. They wouldn’t have to make any new stampings, just shorten existing ones. AMC always was looking at ways to save a buck to stay in business.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:13 PM, FrankTheDog said:

It is cool, but it has a Wagoneer roof on it, not a truck roof. Although that would probably be the most economical way of making an extended cab. They wouldn’t have to make any new stampings, just shorten existing ones. AMC always was looking at ways to save a buck to stay in business.

The later J-10s and J-20s all had that style roof rather than the military style, squared-off roof. One of the guys in the Javelin/AMX Sports Car Club of Connecticut, who worked at Stahl's AMC in Derby, had a really nice one.

I'm sure I have mentioned more than twice that my original XJ was a 1988 XJ that I purchased new. I bought an XJ only because the MJ wasn't available in an extended cab version and I needed a bit more enclosed storage space than the MJ offered.

Hypothetically, if an enterprising young lad (which I am not) had an MJ, an XJ or three, and access to some steel tube and plate, how would you lads go about creating an extended cab Comanche?

19 hours ago, Eagle said:

...how would you lads go about creating an extended cab Comanche?

Got the idea from a thread on here....

Starting with a solid 2dr xj with the rear side vent windows, cut after those. Then using a swb mj cutting after the ext' cab panels. Not really a how, rather a what I'd like to have...

I'd call it the cheromancheneer... cuz after all that sillyness one would have to have the wagoneer front clip double headlight setup, purely for flex ;P

There are versions of an extended cab MJ out there.  I've seen a silver XJ 2 door conversion (one of those So Cal/TJ as in Mexico builds) floating around the interwebs, like the following;

88c55554883daf8a870979fd2401922d.jpg   The silver one I refer to was a little more radical. 

29 minutes ago, NHMJXJ said:

There are versions of an extended cab MJ out there.  I've seen a silver XJ 2 door conversion (one of those So Cal/TJ as in Mexico) floating around the interwebs, like the following;

88c55554883daf8a870979fd2401922d.jpg   The silver one I refer to was a little more radical. 

Oh the wonders fb marketplace digs up!

wq3p5zm17fd91.jpg

On 7/29/2023 at 5:03 PM, NHMJXJ said:

There are versions of an extended cab MJ out there.  I've seen a silver XJ 2 door conversion (one of those So Cal/TJ as in Mexico builds) floating around the interwebs, like the following;

That's nnice, but it's not a Comanche. It's a modified XJ -- what we generally refer to as a "Cheromanche."

On 7/29/2023 at 4:43 PM, JeepSchmidt O'Guinness said:

Got the idea from a thread on here....

Starting with a solid 2dr xj with the rear side vent windows, cut after those. Then using a swb mj cutting after the ext' cab panels. Not really a how, rather a what I'd like to have...

I'd call it the cheromancheneer... cuz after all that sillyness one would have to have the wagoneer front clip double headlight setup, purely for flex ;P

I have no details on this one but I think it might have started out as a 2 dr. XJ.   The rear of the cab could be from an MJ.  If it is I think it would have been better to include the vents.   

1986_calexico-ca-4.jpg