Finally - axle swap time (what's the difference between 86 and 88 brakes?)

Finally going to carve out time to swap axles with the '86 4 cyl parts truck.

The '88 currently has stock 30/35 with 3.07 gears

The '86 has 30/44 with 4.10 gears

Even with the complete donor truck expect there will be issues...

Figure that neither drive shaft is going to work...maybe the one out of the '86?  Both trucks are 4x4 but with different motor/trans in the '86 not sure it will work.  Prepared to have a new one made.

Brakes?  The original brakes in the '88 are intact and like to keep it that way - is the D44 different enough that have to make any radical changes?  Longer lines maybe?  Will definitely replacing the shoes/cylinders/springs in the rear drums but hoping everything else lines up.

New shocks going in the rear - have airbag helper that will probably go in as well to help with squat when towing - unless there is some other suggestion for helping the old leafs which do not intend to replace or AAL at this time.

What else? - the front D30 should just be a straight swap - was there any major difference between 86 & 88 on the front axle?

Any of you guys done this or have tips send em my way

07-11-23.jpg

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

your 86 has a 44?

That's what the PO says - looks like one to me, but I'm comparing to pics off the web - don't have one to directly compare.

Says it has a locker in it as well....guess we'll find out.

Truck is pretty hacked up - think it was a wheeler, exhaust is routed up through the bed and the front fenders are cut.

1264086605_Dana44.jpg.b3c3010ff412851ec198200ca2aa9dd7.jpg

55 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I spy an AAL in that pack. 

the 44 snout is an inch longer than the 35 so yeah, I don't think either rear shaft will work. 

Yep - that's the donor truck and agree AAL for sure, that spring pack will stay with the donor.

Going to swap the axels and snag the tail lights, rear flares, tailgate, bucket seats and few other odds and ends out of the donor and then send it on to glory - will offer what's left up cheap on CL or FB (wifey tired of sanford & son yard)

• Pete M changed the title to Finally - axle swap time (what's the difference between 86 and 88 brakes?)
  • 3 weeks later...

What is the order of disassembly - does it matter...

Disconnected the e brake cables since they were easy and right there.

Broke all the ubolts loose and working on the lower shackle bolts.

Once everything is unstuck - figure:

Disconnect and cap brake lines.

Drop the drive shaft.

Unbolt lower shocks

Remove ubolts so axle is free of the leafs and resting on jack/pallet jack

Unbolt shackles let the leaf drop and pull axle out.

MJ Axle Swap 1.jpg

MJ Axle Swap.jpg

MJ Axle Swap NP.jpg

9 hours ago, 88towmanche said:

Unbolt shackles let the leaf drop and pull axle out.

This has always been quite the ordeal on my Jeeps. The bolt likes to seize inside the bushing sleeve. :holdwrench:

But for the most part, yeah, that should get you free. I have a sneaking suspicion that d44 is from something else like maybe a TJ. Are there any signs of old brackets that have been cutoff at some point? Is that a barcode gage on the left tube near the pumpkin? 

14 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

This has always been quite the ordeal on my Jeeps. The bolt likes to seize inside the bushing sleeve. :holdwrench:

But for the most part, yeah, that should get you free. I have a sneaking suspicion that d44 is from something else like maybe a TJ. Are there any signs of old brackets that have been cutoff at some point? Is that a barcode gage on the left tube near the pumpkin? 

PO swore it was a factory MJ 44 - said it took him months to find but you never know

There was a piece of duct tape on the left tube - nothing legible on it.

The brake line on top of the left tube looks identical to the 35 on my other truck (blurry pic)

Can't find any evidence of cut off perch or sloppy welds on the ones on there - if it was modified they did a good job.

Should have it out today/tomorrow and get a closer look at everything

MJ Axle Swap 2.jpg

Ok, got the D44 out of the donor.

Plan is now to R&R the axle:

Go over the brakes - inspect/replace shoes, drums, cylinders etc as necessary

Crack the diff cover - inspect gear set/oil replace oil

Wire brush and rattle can

Might get one of those fancy diff covers to liven things up

MJ Axle Swap 3.jpg

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

now's the time to contemplate a disk brake swap :D 

There is no end to the madness - disc conversion will have to wait....maybe.....now going to compile a list of parts to complete disc swap....damn.

1 hour ago, Drahcir495 said:

That made me laugh! I have heard that about my garage :applause:

She uses the theme song from the show as her ringtone when I call her........so I use the old Star Trek Red Alert klaxon for her.

She hates that, so she never calls, just texts....win/win

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I mean, it could just mean a trip to the junkyard. :D  I forget which one you want to find though.  ZJs?  KJs? :bowdown:

Have to be drums for now, on a schedule and interior needs some work - bench seat has to go - might see how much an upholstery shop wants to re-do the buckets out of the donor, have to do headliner & carpet 

On 8/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, 88towmanche said:

PO swore it was a factory MJ 44 - said it took him months to find but you never know

The heavy-duty rear axle for 1986 was the AMC Model 20. The rear cover on the Model 20 is perfectly round. That axle is not out of an '86 MJ.

From '87 thru '89 the D35 and the D44 both had 10" rear brakes. The D53 were 10" x 1.75", and the D44 were 10" x 2.5".  The backing plates are different, so you can't just buy 2.5" drums and shoes and slap them on a D35.

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

The heavy-duty rear axle for 1986 was the AMC Model 20. The rear cover on the Model 20 is perfectly round. That axle is not out of an '86 MJ.

From '87 thru '89 the D35 and the D44 both had 10" rear brakes. The D53 were 10" x 1.75", and the D44 were 10" x 2.5".  The backing plates are different, so you can't just buy 2.5" drums and shoes and slap them on a D35.

Agree with everything you are saying here - the PO was clear that it took him months for find that D44 and put in that truck - said he also had a Yukon locker put in it- going to leave existing leafs in the truck, new shocks and looks like will need a new drive shaft - or cut one down to compensate for the longer D44

Going to pull the old axle out of the 88 on the lift.

first time have even looked at the spare - at first thought maybe it was a pristine rim but it has not aged well, has patchy corrosion/missing clear so maybe this one was on the truck for a while.

MJ Axle Swap 4.jpg

MJ Axle Swap 5.jpg

MJ Axle Swap 9.jpg

Was the drive shaft on the 86's different from the later years....

The driveline on the 86 donor is nearly 4" in diameter - the one on the 88 is like 2-1/2"

One of them is going to have to be cut - should I use the apparently beefier one out of the 86 or the oem one in the 88..

MJ Axle Swap 6.jpg

MJ Axle Swap 7.jpg

Does anyone have the part # for the D44 bracket for load sensing set up on the rear brakes?

I read on here that they are different - I'll pull the bracket of the 35 and see if it can be modded to work, but if there is a factory part out there will see if I can grab that - like the load sensor to work rather than delete.

MJ Axle Swap 8.jpg

35 minutes ago, 88towmanche said:

Does anyone have the part # for the D44 bracket for load sensing set up on the rear brakes?

I read on here that they are different - I'll pull the bracket of the 35 and see if it can be modded to work, but if there is a factory part out there will see if I can grab that - like the load sensor to work rather than delete.

MJ Axle Swap 8.jpg

I believe I have the bracket on my d44 that I won't be using