diy rear cab carpet panel

Mine was all trashed when I got my MJ, and the cheesy "hardboard" Jeep had used was curled and delaminating from previous water damage.   This drove me to a make a new one.

I bought a piece of "masonite" from the lumber yard, and cut it to shape with a saw.  (I used the old piece as a template.)  Then I sanded the edges to remove the sharp corners.

I obtained some black headliner material, and used spray-on headliner adhesive to attach the fabric to the masonite.  The "L" brackets that attach to the bottom I cleaned and repainted, and attached them to the masonite with screws/nuts/washers.

The headliner material is not as rugged as the stuff Jeep used, which was a sort of low-rent carpet type material.  However, I don't put stuff behind my seats except a jacket or the like, so I am not worried about trashing the fabric.

• 6 months later...

I wanted to put this out there for the world: Back in September, I came across a gray Pioneer at a scrapyard and I had the sense to snag the panel as I knew they weren't always easy to obtain. I still have it, and as far as I can tell, it is in tact. Point being, if a panel with its carpet is desired as a donor for reproduction by an able craftsman on this forum, or who runs a business and is interested in a donor piece strictly for reproduction, I am willing to donate it for a higher cause. Because restoring these old things isn't getting any easier.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2024 at 9:47 PM, EUREKA said:

I have a really good upolstry guy. I bet he could use it as a pattern to make more of them. I can ask him about it on Monday.

Wait, you have an upholstery guy in Humboldt? We have to talk! The only place that I know of is  Lantner's and he's usually too busy to act very excited about taking new jobs.