Serpentine belt path question

No, it’s not supposed to touch.  I don’t have the routing diagram so I can post it from my iPad, but someone can chime in with it, I am sure.

if you do not have AC, do you have the AC delete pulley installed?

6 hours ago, AZJeff said:

No, it’s not supposed to touch.  I don’t have the routing diagram so I can post it from my iPad, but someone can chime in with it, I am sure.

if you do not have AC, do you have the AC delete pulley installed?

I have non-working ac. The compressor is there.

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Thanks Pete. Just checked to be 100% sure and my belt follows the same path as the diagram. Is it possible that my power steering is too high? I had that replaced a few years ago. Hard to believe it would move. Also, when I press down on the belt belt, how much deflection should there be? And should the AC compressor move when pressing belt?

Serpentine-belt-anim.gif

28 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

The idler should NOT move like that. 

Nice graphic BTW!

I assumed not. Not sure why it's moving, but I'll look into it. I "fixed" the leak at the front fuel rail, but still no start. Fuel pressure is good while cranking, but once you stop it drops straight to zero. Is that normal? Should pressure stay up while key is "on"?

Also, my battery is weak from all the tries. It's charging now, but can a weak battery play onto this? I bought that Noid Light kit as suggested by @ratrapp, but I need to read how to use the dang thing. While I'm learning a lot, I am not happy at all about how much time this is taking. :mad:

The graphic I did because I needed to do something fun amidst all this stress!

to use the noid light all you have to do is unplug 1 injector and plug the correct noid light into the harness and have someone crank it.it should pulse to let you know the ecm is commanding the injectors to pulse.did you pull all plugs to verify theyre not gas soaked?also you should be able to hold fuel pressure for a while.thats saying if it drops immediatley then you can either have a stuck open injector,bad regulator or there is a leak inside your fuel pump assembly from where the hose connectors to the hanger or ive even seen the pump itself leak where the pump body is assembled.

1 minute ago, ratrapp said:

to use the noid light all you have to do is unplug 1 injector and plug the correct noid light into the harness and have someone crank it.it should pulse to let you know the ecm is commanding the injectors to pulse.did you pull all plugs to verify theyre not gas soaked?also you should be able to hold fuel pressure for a while.thats saying if it drops immediatley then you can either have a stuck open injector,bad regulator or there is a leak inside your fuel pump assembly from where the hose connectors to the hanger or ive even seen the pump itself leak where the pump body is assembled.

I've only pulled one plug. Will pull them all now.

Is there a test for the regulator?

usually if theyre going bad youll see gas coming out of the nipple that the vacuum hose attatchs to.it can also be bad and fuel not coming out of the nipple as well.you would have to remove the regulator and fab up a block off plug to eliminate the regulator and start narrowing down if you have either a stuck injector or a leaking pump.if any plugs are fuel soaked then that may be signs of a stuck injector.

5 minutes ago, ratrapp said:

usually if theyre going bad youll see gas coming out of the nipple that the vacuum hose attatchs to.it can also be bad and fuel not coming out of the nipple as well.you would have to remove the regulator and fab up a block off plug to eliminate the regulator and start narrowing down if you have either a stuck injector or a leaking pump.if any plugs are fuel soaked then that may be signs of a stuck injector.

I just pulled the vacuum off and fuel did leak out.

thats a good sign.if all the plugs look good and your sure your getting spark then spray a small and i do mean small amount of carb cleaner in each spark plug hole,reinstall the plugs and see if it starts or try to start.

49 minutes ago, ratrapp said:

thats a good sign.if all the plugs look good and your sure your getting spark then spray a small and i do mean small amount of carb cleaner in each spark plug hole,reinstall the plugs and see if it starts or try to start.

Alright. If I don't post again, I blew myself up.

4 minutes ago, ratrapp said:

have you checked under the distrbutor cap to make sure that the rotor button hasnt come off the shaft.ive seen that before as well.

Not yet. Based on this first plug, I'm going to replace them all.

old plug.jpg

just get a cheap set of copper plugs to get it running.it doesnt need or will benefit from platinum or iridium plugs the stores will try to sell you.try new plugs before you spray carb cleaner in the holes.this is just a test eliminate that you don't have fuel on the plugs to combust.

14 minutes ago, NC Tom said:

Not yet. Based on this first plug, I'm going to replace them all.

old plug.jpg

That looks like one of those fancy Iridium or Platinum tipped plugs.   The 4.0 doesn't benefit from them in the slightest, and may actually run worse, since they lack the extremely high voltages needed to jump that type of gap reliably.   Put in some good old fashioned conventional plugs (Champions were OEM.)

2 hours ago, NC Tom said:

I assumed not. Not sure why it's moving, but I'll look into it. I "fixed" the leak at the front fuel rail, but still no start. Fuel pressure is good while cranking, but once you stop it drops straight to zero. Is that normal? Should pressure stay up while key is "on"?

Also, my battery is weak from all the tries. It's charging now, but can a weak battery play onto this? I bought that Noid Light kit as suggested by @ratrapp, but I need to read how to use the dang thing. While I'm learning a lot, I am not happy at all about how much time this is taking. :mad:

The graphic I did because I needed to do something fun amidst all this stress!

If the pulley on the compressor is moving, it is probably due to a worn out bearing in the compressor clutch hub.  This can be confirmed by removing the belt, and turning the compressor pulley by hand.  It should spring smoothly/freely, with no noise.   If it is determined to be bad, a replacement bearing can be had from Rock Auto pretty reasonably.

1 hour ago, AZJeff said:

If the pulley on the compressor is moving, it is probably due to a worn out bearing in the compressor clutch hub.  This can be confirmed by removing the belt, and turning the compressor pulley by hand.  It should spring smoothly/freely, with no noise.   If it is determined to be bad, a replacement bearing can be had from Rock Auto pretty reasonably.

Removing the belt? Thanks for that, but I need to get it running before I go there.

4 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

Am I the only one to notice that tom states he DOES have fuel leaking out of the vacuum port on his fuel pressure regulator? 

Was wondering why that was a "good" sign. But, I know so little about it, I didn't ask. So. It's not a good thing. 

4 hours ago, ratrapp said:

just get a cheap set of copper plugs to get it running.it doesnt need or will benefit from platinum or iridium plugs the stores will try to sell you.try new plugs before you spray carb cleaner in the holes.this is just a test eliminate that you don't have fuel on the plugs to combust.

New plugs installed, still no start. Haven't checked distro yet. But, I noticed I a nipple without a hose attached. See pic. Should there be a hose there?

20230423_172702.jpg.0dbbb6cbb2fd3958ef5d101bb33f6226.jpg