XJ Roof Racks

Eagle

This summer I hope to get my original '88 XJ back on the road. When I bought it, in the Pioneer trim level the roof rack was extra. I didn't think I'd ever have a need for it, so I didn't buy it. Now I wish I had done so.

I have a choice of four XJ parts vehicles, all of which have roof racks, that I can take a rack from. What's holding me back is water. Specifically, how to keep water out of the interior after I drill a bunch of holes in the roof. I believe the longitudinal rails screw into nutserts that are drilled into the roof, is that correct? What did the factory use to waterproof all those attachment points?

Thanks.

Another option is the ones that attach to the drip rails. I have a set of them. I have not used them yet. The stock ones on my '98 XJ have collapsed from about 5 sheets of drywall. The next time I did put foam underneath. 

3 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

Another option is the ones that attach to the drip rails. I have a set of them. I have not used them yet. The stock ones on my '98 XJ have collapsed from about 5 sheets of drywall. The next time I did put foam underneath. 

I have an aftermarket rack. I'd like to retrofit a factory rack.

Where can I buy seam sealer?

When I swapped out the damaged roof rack on my ZJ there was some form of thread sealer on the screws. Similar to what goes on head bolts that go into a water jacket. image.jpg.3adbef29ae972f384a5d905a2bcb5e63.jpg

But I didn’t have that tube when I put them back in so I just dobbed some clear silicone on/around the holes before offering up the side rails. It’s been four years and I haven’t had any leaks yet.