Subwoofers - whatcha got?

I'm starting to plan what I'm doing to do for audio in my build. I'm not trying to win any competitions, I just want something that would be maybe a step above of what you'd expect out of a modern OEM system in a similar size vehicle. I'm mostly curious what size subs you guys are using. I've seen a few big boxes with two 12's, but I feel like that is probably far far more power than I personally want. I'd like to be able to feel the bass but not blow out my windows. I think a single 10 or 12 is probably what I'll go with. 

So far I have installed 6.5" Kicker 46CSC654 in my doors (not sure if the comanche doors take 6.5" but my 97+ cherokee doors do). Next I want to buy an amp that's got enough power for my someday subwoofer, as it might be a while before I get to that part, but I'd love to go ahead and power the door speakers because my head unit amp is trash. So my plan is to see what you all are running, get an idea of the size and power rating of the sub I want, buy an amp that will support that in the future, go ahead and wire the door speakers to it, and call it a day for now. I've no idea what I want though - a 12" 500W? a 10" 800W? even an 8"? No idea.

Bonus points if you have buckets and photos of your enclosure - will be replacing my bench before I build my enclosure and could use ideas there as well.

I've got an 8 inch Solo Baric and a small box. I can melt your kidneys if I put it behind your seat. You don't need to go crazy and eat up all of your storage space. It's a tiny cab. :D buy quality and feed it all that you can and you'll be happy. 

I have this head unit. I don't listen to CDs to opted for the BT one to save space which was needed with running RCAs and limited space. Biggest reason for this was 5v preamp outputs along with robust features for a low price. 

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kmm-x704/

I run a 8" Kicker sub in a shallow box. I like it, gives a little bump to help round out the music. I initially wanted to go with a 10" but the 8 just fit better. A 12" is too big IMHO. Not enough cab space to need a 12". 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CWCD84/Kicker-44CWCD84.html?tp=68848

Amp is this 5ch. Ran all the speaker through it and the 1 ch for the sub. Can crank some decent tunes.  

https://soundstream.com/product/pn5-640d/

I do have buckets and this is behind the driver seat. All fits nicely with minimal disruption to interior space. 

IMG_20220825_123751695.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

I've got an 8 inch Solo Baric and a small box. I can melt your kidneys if I put it behind your seat. You don't need to go crazy and eat up all of your storage space. It's a tiny cab. :D buy quality and feed it all that you can and you'll be happy. 

How much power are you giving it?

1 hour ago, Smokeyyank said:

I have this head unit. I don't listen to CDs to opted for the BT one to save space which was needed with running RCAs and limited space. Biggest reason for this was 5v preamp outputs along with robust features for a low price. 

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kmm-x704/

I run a 8" Kicker sub in a shallow box. I like it, gives a little bump to help round out the music. I initially wanted to go with a 10" but the 8 just fit better. A 12" is too big IMHO. Not enough cab space to need a 12". 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CWCD84/Kicker-44CWCD84.html?tp=68848

Amp is this 5ch. Ran all the speaker through it and the 1 ch for the sub. Can crank some decent tunes.  

https://soundstream.com/product/pn5-640d/

I do have buckets and this is behind the driver seat. All fits nicely with minimal disruption to interior space. 

IMG_20220825_123751695.jpg

"60W x 4 + 200W" So are you running the sub off a single channel, a bridged pair, or that fifth 200w channel?

Not sure, like 700?  The current amp claims 1000. Lol. I bought that particular amp because it fit where the airbag used to be on the dash of the Liberty not because it was the world's greatest.

Also the sub is a 97 vintage model.  Buy quality, buy once, be happy. :D

2 hours ago, CO MJ said:

"60W x 4 + 200W" So are you running the sub off a single channel, a bridged pair, or that fifth 200w channel?

Correct, sub is ran off the 5th 200w channel. Could do dual amps if you wanted but I didn't see a lot of need for the size of the cab to need that much power. I wanted more than what the head unit would pump out. When I crank it its noticeably loud. 

In my WJ I run one of these with speakers powered off the deck. 

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Powered+Subwoofer/TS-WX120A

I did not want to sacrifice space but wanted a little sub. It does OK, doesn't give you any bump but fills out the music nicely. Overall, not that loud even when full blast still way better than stock though. 

I ran the alpine 8” powered sub but could never get it tuned correctly for the cab. These cabs are finicky when it comes to tuning. You don’t need much power in there to get the SPL’s plenty decent. For a modern factory+ performing system, my plan is to go with a pair of the pioneer ultra compact powered subs. They are small enough to fit just behind the seat brackets and have excellent reviews. Checkout GJeep’s build for details. He’s the one who first had the idea to use them in an MJ afaik. 

My audio system is kicker KS 5.25 components up front, KS 4x6 in the b pillars and a pair of the pioneer micro subs running from an 8 channel DSP/amp so I can delete the passive crossovers up front and run an active system. Should be able to fine tune that to get the sound I want (which for me will need to sound at least like a new Mercedes audio system).

4 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I ran the alpine 8” powered sub but could never get it tuned correctly for the cab. These cabs are finicky when it comes to tuning. You don’t need much power in there to get the SPL’s plenty decent. For a modern factory+ performing system, my plan is to go with a pair of the pioneer ultra compact powered subs. They are small enough to fit just behind the seat brackets and have excellent reviews. Checkout GJeep’s build for details. He’s the one who first had the idea to use them in an MJ afaik. 

My audio system is kicker KS 5.25 components up front, KS 4x6 in the b pillars and a pair of the pioneer micro subs running from an 8 channel DSP/amp so I can delete the passive crossovers up front and run an active system. Should be able to fine tune that to get the sound I want (which for me will need to sound at least like a new Mercedes audio system).

Are they actually loud? I find it really hard to believe that two little 50w speakers move enough air to be satisfied

For the MJ's cab I think they're perfect. Don't take up space and sound full. And I've only got them dialed up a little more than 1/2 way. I've had Alpine 12's in cargo area box of XJ (bigger cabin area) and currently have a single 10 in back of XJ quarter panel. The MJ by comparison sounds close to the XJ with 12's believe it or not. (Clarity on the XJ was a better on high level as was running ADS separates, but the system I have in the MJ sounds good. I first tested it with an aftermarket head unit and was able to crank it a good amount more over the NOS factory head unit I decided to run through amps. I don't think you'll be disappointed.