Front shock recomendation

I put Rancho RS 5000X on the front of mine a few weeks ago.  Completely stock suspension setup and truck in general.  I am pleased with them.  Definitely good for the price.  I have much cheaper new KYB shocks on the rear, they too are a wonderful upgrade over the old blown ones.

4 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

The 5000X is a great chock for the price. Do you do any high speeds on rough roads, gravel, washboards etc? Stock axles? What size tires? Any added weight to your MJ? 

Not typically too rough. I have 30 min commute on interstate to work. Stick axles. A bit bigger than stick wheels but still 15” turbines. No added weight. 

3 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

I put Rancho RS 5000X on the front of mine a few weeks ago.  Completely stock suspension setup and truck in general.  I am pleased with them.  Definitely good for the price.  I have much cheaper new KYB shocks on the rear, they too are a wonderful upgrade over the old blown ones.

What is the model number of your front shocks? I’m guessing you have the tabs or fins on yours as well?

I don't like Rancho suspension parts in general, so I an going to suggest an alternative for the front:   KYB 

They are modestly priced, and provide good balance between dampening and ride.

Another good choice is Quadratec's house brand of shocks.

1 hour ago, AZJeff said:

I don't like Rancho suspension parts in general, so I an going to suggest an alternative for the front:   KYB 

Have you tried the 5000x series? Rancho had a pretty bad rep until they made these shocks. They are truly a great shock for the price. 

1 hour ago, Whitaker717 said:

What is the model number of your front shocks? I’m guessing you have the tabs or fins on yours as well?

I purchased RS55128.  I am not quite sure what you mean by tabs or fins.  The Rancho shock came with 100% of the new hardware required including bolts.  

1 hour ago, AZJeff said:

I like the softer ride if the KYB in the back, I would have purchased them for the front but I couldn't find a source of them.  That said my Ranchos in the front ride fine.

1 hour ago, pizzaman09 said:

I purchased RS55128.  I am not quite sure what you mean by tabs or fins.  The Rancho shock came with 100% of the new hardware required including bolts.  

I like the softer ride if the KYB in the back, I would have purchased them for the front but I couldn't find a source of them.  That said my Ranchos in the front ride fine.

So my front shock looks like this. With these tabs on the bottom

6 minutes ago, Whitaker717 said:

So my front shock looks like this. With these tabs on the bottom

Yep, those tabs come with the shock.  Install that end first, then rotate it up to align the rod with the hole in the wheel well.

Here it is installed in mine, the white tab will be pre installed into the bushing.20221221_203655.JPG.e47230f720749c0db3ce83fb86ed4435.JPG

To answer multiple comments on this thread:   I have not tried the "5000" series Rancho shock, so I cannot comment on that particular version.  I am just not a big fan of Rancho suspension parts in general, as I think there are better aftermarket brands than theirs, and at similar prices.

The "Tab" various people are referring to on the lower end of the front shock absorber in an XJ/MJ is called a "bar pin"