Custom Coolant Reservoir Tank

My MJ is in a garage with some tuner cars and one of the kids just rolled through with a custom coolant reservoir that looked slick and took up virtually no space in his engine bay. I was wondering if I could do the same in my 2.5L MJ considering there are two coolant tanks and they take up 1/8th of the right side of the engine bay. Would love to be enlightened on why I can or can't do this by someone with more experience. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, pizzaman09 said:

I'm not too familiar with the 2.5L system, is it a closed or open system?  My general rule of thumb when building cooling system overflow setups is to make sure it's the highest point so that it assists in bleeding.

Not sure what the difference is between and open or closed cooling system to be honest

1 hour ago, knuckledragger666 said:

Not sure what the difference is between and open or closed cooling system to be honest

Closed would mean the coolant overflow tank is sealed and pressurized, the Renix 4.0L is setup as a closed system.

Open would mean the coolant overflow tank is vented to atmosphere, the HO 4.0L is setup as an open system.

Both setups are doable with a custom bottle but both are very different as one needs to hold pressure.

2 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

Closed would mean the coolant overflow tank is sealed and pressurized, the Renix 4.0L is setup as a closed system.

Open would mean the coolant overflow tank is vented to atmosphere, the HO 4.0L is setup as an open system.

Both setups are doable with a custom bottle but both are very different as one needs to hold pressure.

Doesn't seem to be closed as both tanks are just regular plastic tanks with caps that can easily come off

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

I've never seen a 2.5L XJ or MJ with TWO Coolant tanks. Please post a photo. I don't think your system is factory.

69697768766__CB14800E-826E-448F-8509-4D3E99421E41.jpg.a7a014d768214589c69680f26f7ecb7c.jpg

To the right of the airbox is one of the coolant reservoirs, maybe the only one. It's covered by an orange hand wipe. Idk what the wider one behind it is. Think it might be for wiper fluid? The truck came bone dry.

Dirty Comanche is correct. The one toward the rear is the windshield washer reservoir.

In the future, it might be better to use the terms "driver's side" and "passenger side." You described these reservoirs as being on the right side, but they are on the left (driver's side) of the vehicle. The battery is on the right side.

Fwiw you can use just about any container, size and shape you'd like if the factory one isn't doing it for you athletically- just soo long as it will hold enough coolant to maintain the cooling systems proper level. You can also mount it wherever you'd like too, lengthen or shorten the hose as needed.