86 Comanche Project Warpath

woof woof bark bark aroooooooooooooooooooooooooo...this dog won't hunt.

Wow, what a turd...the 2.8L I'm talking about, took it for an extensive ride yesterday to give it some exercise as it has sat too much in it's past 6 mos, took me a while to get use to what shift points I need just to maintain a decent stop to stop light accelerating in traffic. Once I tach-ed it up to at least 3k sometimes a little more it was tolerable, but even first gear needed to shift fairly quick like it was all done after 10-15mph. And I use to think my 2.4L in my TJ was a little anemic...nope, it's a gone dawg racecar lol.

I know the crappy carb and needing a good tune has some to do with it, but engine sounds healthy when moving along, just the slowest no power-mobile I've ever driven in my life, I can see a nice GMC 3.8 V6 or Chevy 305/350 Dodge 318 in it's future for sure, with a good NV3500 behind it.

I did enjoy taking it out though, but won't get much use till I get some stuff done to it, unfortunately other Jeep projects have priority over it at this time, but won't be forgotten. And Damnnnnn, it marks it's territory as well, have to get it a diaper for now.

had a guy I was talking to about his Comanche asked if I would take pictures of my console area so while he's trying to source one know what he was looking for, and as mine is pretty nice and complete I sent him pics of it, I'll post them here as well to help anyone else whom might be interested.

2023-02-02_100052.jpg

2023-02-02_100105.jpg

2023-02-02_100117.jpg

2023-02-02_100130.jpg

2023-02-02_100140.jpg

2023-02-02_100151.jpg

2023-02-02_100201.jpg

2023-02-02_100219.jpg

Was just over a friends house who had me go with him to another car nuts house to pick some parts up, the guy had an old fashioned key cutting machine with loads of keys on the display rack, and had a good deal of original AMC gm style square and round keys, originals with logo AMC and all, gave me 2 sets wahooooo

make sure they are the correct "J" keys (stamped on the key).  earlier AMC keys look similar but are not usable.  correct year keys can go much higher on ebay depending on supply at any one time (it fluctuates widely). 

So, did some work on the carb, found out long metal pinched vacuum metal tube was just shoved over the air mixture adjustment screw, adjusted it better, also took care of one vacuum leak, a few other vacuum hose in extreme desperate need of replacement, but starts and idles a whole lot better already, looks lie just some work on current carb will suffice, didn't want to dump a lot of $$ in the 2.8 anyway. Have a lot of cleanup under the hood wires vacuums still to go. Ordered a new Fey rear bumper today.

Thinking about going to another V6 swap when everything else is sorted. 4.3 Chevy Vortec Chevy 5 speed and TC. thinking also a 9.25 rear, 3:73 gears. Either stand alone TB or carb and HEI.

yeah.....that's a big no for me, thanks for the info though, I personally don't see the value in swapping to one of those just because they interchange, more power and reliability, in my opinion-no longevity, worked on too many of them over the years as a tech, to me, the payoff doesn't equal the cost and work. I want something that has the power if needed, pulling, hauling light off road, nothing extreme. I'm also considering a Amc 304, Buick 350, Buick because Distributor is in front and readily available bellhousing to Chevy trans adapter. Maybe a Dodge 318 Dakota 4x4 donor.

All of it will have plenty of time to ponder, I'm going to keep updating and repairing the MJ for the next year, but won't get into serious changes until after my other project gets closer to finishing, 83 CJ7 "Franken-J" project 350 Vortec custom build.

Thanks! Not an LS guy, prefer just a good ole Vortec or standard carb 350, cheaper and makes more than enough power for any Comanche, Cherokee, Wrangler etc, it's not like I'm racing it, and way more than enough to go wheeling. I've got a good 350 and 305 but don't want that much motor really in the truck due to room under the hood. I think a decent V6 will suffice. I'm going to have to do something to the 2.8 sooner than later, it marks it's spot a little too heavy.