what adhesive used to reattach tail light lense to housing

On 1/24/2023 at 10:39 PM, AZJeff said:

I did a write-up a few months ago r on restoring MJ tail lights using née Key Parts lenses, and described the adhesive i used that is much more modern than the junky OEM stuff.

Do you happen to have a link to that write up?

29 minutes ago, SoCalJeepComanche said:

I used Black RTV.  No issues.

I used RTV, and found it bonded VERY poorly to the acrylic lens.  I documented this in my write up.   Based on my experience, I do NOT recommend RTV silicones for this application.

6 hours ago, AZJeff said:

I used RTV, and found it bonded VERY poorly to the acrylic lens.  I documented this in my write up.   Based on my experience, I do NOT recommend RTV silicones for this application.

Interesting.  Oddly bonded really well for me and still solid after almost a year.

I would think something like “the right stuff” or “mega black” rtv should stick very well. “Ultra black” is what seadoo uses to seal most of their through hull fittings. 3m 5200 or 4200 would also be a great option. The 5209 isn’t UV stable but it’s shouldn’t ever be in direct sunlight if installed correctly. Sika’s website lists “Sika Sil” as their recommended headlight adhesive. Windshield urethane would also no doubt do the job if the surfaces were properly prepped. My personal inclination is to use Lexel. Available in most any hardware store. UV stable, semi flexible with a pretty strong bond. Plus it’s crystal clear. There are probably many adhesives that would do the trick. The Sika Sil is a silicone base adhesive sealant from what I can gather. There are a lot of options for alternative silicone based adhesive caulks. A urethane based adhesive would probably have an even greater bond but I can’t see a tailight needing something like that. Plus, it would likely be a permanent bond so a future lens swap may no longer be an option

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I would think something like “the right stuff” or “mega black” rtv should stick very well. “Ultra black” is what seadoo uses to seal most of their through hull fittings. 3m 5200 or 4200 would also be a great option. The 5209 isn’t UV stable but it’s shouldn’t ever be in direct sunlight if installed correctly. Sika’s website lists “Sika Sil” as their recommended headlight adhesive. Windshield urethane would also no doubt do the job if the surfaces were properly prepped. My personal inclination is to use Lexel. Available in most any hardware store. UV stable, semi flexible with a pretty strong bond. Plus it’s crystal clear. There are probably many adhesives that would do the trick. The Sika Sil is a silicone base adhesive sealant from what I can gather. There are a lot of options for alternative silicone based adhesive caulks. A urethane based adhesive would probably have an even greater bond but I can’t see a tailight needing something like that. Plus, it would likely be a permanent bond so a future lens swap may no longer be an option

DO NOT USE URETHANE.  Urethane is harmful to acrylic lenses.   I did a bunch of research on this before I redid my taillights, and my initial plan was to use urethane, since I have experience with it as a retired engineer.

Once I found MULTIPLE sources that said that urethanes and acrylics don't mix, I dropped it from my list of candidates for bonding the lenses.

I would steer away from many RTV's due to UV stability issues.  I live in AZ, and the sun here can be IMPRESSIVELY strong.  That would make me worry about RTV longevity when exposed regularly to strong sunlight.  (You should see my treated lumber trellises for the vines in my back yard...8 years old and due for replacement from sunlight damage.)

37 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

DO NOT USE URETHANE.  Urethane is harmful to acrylic lenses.   I did a bunch of research on this before I redid my taillights, and my initial plan was to use urethane, since I have experience with it as a retired engineer.

Once I found MULTIPLE sources that said that urethanes and acrylics don't mix, I dropped it from my list of candidates for bonding the lenses.

I would steer away from many RTV's due to UV stability issues.  I live in AZ, and the sun here can be IMPRESSIVELY strong.  That would make me worry about RTV longevity when exposed regularly to strong sunlight.  (You should see my treated lumber trellises for the vines in my back yard...8 years old and due for replacement from sunlight damage.)

Good to know on the urethane :L:. The “ultra black” rtv held up remarkably well for me in sunlight (used for my cargo lamp seal) and I would suspect that the bond line in the tail light housings shouldn’t be exposed to much UV. I plan to add some ceramic coating to these lenses as well every couple of years to prevent UV deterioration. Sounds like lexel might be a good off the shelf option.