Back in February of 2022 I started looking on marketplace for a cheap 4x4 project ….  I had in mind a beat up rusty Cherokee for keeping my tools in etc.. I looked at two different 2 doors but they were too far gone in the rust department.  Then this 2wd popped up and I liked the color.  So I began researching the conversion process and decided that I could handle the project..maybe..The 2.8 still runs but leaks everything and has 245k miles so I knew it had to go.

originally I considered a conversion to a 4.0 but it would basically be as difficult as any motor swap.  Then I read about the LS route but I decided that it was going to be too expensive everything said and done.  At some point I found out about the 3.4 swap and decided that was the route for me.  

I started hitting our two pull-a-part yards and collecting parts.  I found a TJ with 3” lift Rustys front coil springs.  I went around the yard with a tape measure and found that Xterra rear leaf springs were 1.5” longer and the right width so I got those.  They worked out for a 4” or so lift.

I got a HP Dana 30 and WJ front knuckles and calipers.  I ordered new rotors etc and a crossover steering kit from Barnes.  I found adjustable control arms on another Cherokee in the yard as well as a RC adjustable track bar.  A lot of JY scrounging…

I got a 241c transfer case and now shopping for a 700R4 for a 60 V6 (not easy to find, basically you only want an 87-89 trans).  I did find two Hard Rock bumpers and just got them fitted.  My latest pull is a 94 Camaro 3.4.  It’s getting a new oil pump and gaskets and a “Krylon rebuild”.  It had 125k miles and good compression check…. I had already bought a new Weber so that’s what it’s getting..

2.8 coming out in the days ahead..

786545ED-7A8E-465B-A986-7394D51A95A8.jpeg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/30/2022 at 7:28 PM, 89 MJ said:

Very nice, tasteful modifications. I love that its forest service green and a 2 door. I'm a little jealous.

It was a Corp of Engineers Park Ranger truck (wildlife refuge/lake), you can still see where the lettering was.  It has a few dents and scratches but overall not bad shape.  I plan to leave the body alone and just keep it original (patina “rat rod” I suppose!).  The only rust is a hole is  where I guess the muffler was.  It only had an old cat hanging under there and I cut it off and home made an exhaust with a JY thrush muffler.  I plan to use the 3.4 exhaust manifolds and weld up a new exhaust system after the motor swap..

Other parts not installed yet…. A winch mount and JY China winch for the front bumper and a tilt column that I restored (had to tighten it up and spray paint it).  Also a later model brake booster, Durango master cylinder and a few other goodies.  After the 2.8 is out, I’ll put the Carter electric fuel pump in, column, booster etc.  I did get the shifter out of a 99, it’s swept back more and I want to use it.  I got an instrument cluster but I’m thinking of just using some Autometer gauges and keep the idiot lights for an old skool simple dash.  My wife got a kick out of the 85 mph speedometer and the full slosh gas guage 😁

When I bought this thing it would hardly run well enough to get up on the trailer.  The first thing I did was install a new gas tank and sending unit.  Flushed the rust out of the lines etc.  being a government truck, and state parks here aren’t usually near a gas station, I’m betting it sat with a low fuel level most of the time and the gas tank interior was solid rust.  After seeing inside that tank, I can’t believe it ran at all.  The Rochester carb is a nightmare and it took some tinkering (and a piece of bailing wire on the linkages) to get it to idle half way right.  I also removed the half mile of vacuum lines in that process..  anyway yall wish me luck.  It’s been fun so far..  

Pulled the 2.8 today.  I never even took the hood off. That’s the first time I’ve ever done that. It’s also the first time I have pulled a motor and left the transmission in the vehicle. It just seemed like a small engine that would just pop out and it did.

If any of you gurus can tell me if the fan shroud last picture is original I would appreciate it. I know that the radiator was changed in the not too distant past. The fan shroud only has a top no bottom section and I can tell it has been carved on. I thought maybe it was out of an S-10 or something. And I’m going to definitely need some help when it comes time to rebuild the air conditioning system. I have read you guys mentioned about using later model XJ evaporators for the 134.  I have a good compressor already.  I will definitely replace the condenser and dryer at some point. But I’m wondering if there is just a good generic aftermarket unit.

F94D00FA-F577-499E-A4D0-A54D723C4BA9.jpeg

10053310-8AB1-4ECC-9CAD-0D1A7BF8A24B.jpeg

C62B0BA0-DC6E-4893-8EE0-6AB2849EFB91.jpeg

DDCC22B1-8AB0-4AD5-AB13-11CA56D22CBC.jpeg

C59AB36A-BD45-4759-BF96-F53509568624.jpeg

57 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yes that’s the original shroud. It’s missing the bottom half. You’ll need one from a 2.5L. 

I’m not sure what you mean by I’ll need one from a 2.5l?  I’m going to use this 2.8 fan on my 3.4 swap.  Unless I can locate one in better shape but that’s very unlikely around here.  

Ok thank you that is helpful!  Since February I’ve been parts hunting..  I’ve seen maybe 15 different XJ’s in yards and people parting them out.  The oldest one was a ‘91 😁. No MJ’s except a couple guys flipping/gold digging on Marketplace.  I need to get out in the boonies and I’ll find more parts I’m sure..

I hit a yard again today and got this washer fluid bottle from an 87 XJ.  The coolant bottle is from a WJ.  It fits the space well.   I’m rearranging some of the furniture because I want to use a smaller charcoal canister from a TJ with just two nipples for hoses.  The Weber needs a vent and the fuel tank gets a vent to the charcoal canister, that’s it. 

20776AB9-81E7-47D6-A9FE-BCDC8B124305.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I don't think you're legally allowed to sacrifice one clean 2dr for another.  somehow a 4dr is required. 

Hopefully someone will want it for their own project 👍.  It has a clean title and someone out there will get a nice clean roller for their own dream ride!  It still has the 2.8 in it and was grandpas Blazer with 138k on it.. evidently they removed the trans because the flex plate cracked.  It even comes with a new torque converter.  Stall speed is slightly higher on the 2.8 converter than the 3.4 Camaro by a 150 rpm, hopefully that won’t matter much..

I hogged out the 2.8 intake on the primary side, not sure if this was good or bad, guess we’ll see.  I didn’t like that weird step down to the runners.  I didn’t completely smooth it out, there is still a “cave” down in there.  

In the last picture below (random eBay photo), you can see the “platform” or whatever it’s called that I hogged out.  Basically your fuel is dropping out the carb’s primary onto a floor surface 3/4” or so below your carb butterfly to get thoroughly confused.  I removed that “platform” to improve flow.  (Edit:  it’s installed now and runs fantastic).

I also bought a ‘84 timing cover from FN Jeep.  They didn’t have an ‘86 dated one but mine had a hole in it and one mounting ear broken off.  I bead blasted both and will try to clear coat them tomorrow.  I also had the 2.8 oil pan hot tanked at a machine shop and rattle canned it (no picture)…