How to install kill switch.

Ok I just got my 88 MJ stolen tonight and now I need to know how to install a kill switch for the thing. Its a 2.5L automatic. Yes I got it back but the cops wanted to take in for printing so they can try and catch these guys. I guess its been a bit of a problem here in Fenton or they've just been beggin for an excuse to use the new toys they have.

I run a hidden keyed battery cut off switch as well as an ignition bypass switch. With out inserting and turning key, while depressing button and clutch the rig will not start. This is on my TJ crawler. The batt switch is a readily available unit. I got it locally, but have seen it at the big Jeep retailers, Quadratec and 4WD Hardware. Put it in and turn it and it will stay right there until you remove it. its not like a return to center ignition switch.

As for the cut off, I have that wired with a "valet" switch so I do not have to show anyone where it is if I don't want to. This the best way to keep it working, don't tell you have it and never show where it is.

I had seriously considered a brake lock system when I had it on the road. This is great thinking. You install the keyed switch in your floor so the driver can reach it to engage. Its plumbed into the brake lines. To engage, you depress the brake pedal and turn the removable key. it locks the pressure in the brake lines so the vehicle will not move until you re insert and turn key.

Good luck,

CW

I tried this switch but unfortunately my 1991 isn't "wired" like other cars and trucks. I purchased this little unit and it looked promising:

http://www.killswitchcentral.com/

The owner of the site was very helpfull, but following his instructions of starting the truck then pulling 10 amp fuses and reinserting them until you remove one the shuts your truck off did not work for me. The instrcutions then say to move to a 20 amp fuse and do the same. After emailing the site I was told to move to the PDC and try the same thing to no avail, I even removed the one that said "ignition" and it did not stall out the truck.

After that I posted for help and someone cameup with this idea.

http://projectxj.com/mods/kill.switch.htm

That will be my next little project, as someone broke my rear slider a few months back. :cry:

There's a much easier way that wouldn't cost you more than $10 and an hour or two of your time like lostissues said. Your fuel pump runs on a relay so just turn the relay off every time you get out of the vehicle. A great switch for this is the kill switch for the power windows that you can find in any cherokee limited version. All you need to do is cut the wire going to the coil on the relay and run it to the switch. Done. If you want better details let me know.

There is another + to my battery kill switch... If you where to get in and try to start, you would NOT immediately suspect a cut off...as the lights, dash, raido and gages WILL WORK, just the truck will not crank....

I just remembered another trick, remember to turn your raido WAY up so when they do get it running it makes that much more noise!!! If you lucky it'll pop an ear drum!!!

Remember, thief's/punks want a quick, quiet snatch. If they make too much noise they will scoot. Otherwise, I'll introduce them to buddie Riley and my 870 standing next to the bed....

He is just a lil'lap dog...all 140lbs of him!!! :roll: :D

CW

I want to install a switch panel where you have to flip the switches in a certain order and leave them flipped in that order (like a combination lock) so that it will start only when the correct sequence is flipped...say, 5 switches. no, it wouldn't be that hard to figure out, but they wouldn't know what all the switches are for...leave them unlabeled and have one activate a horn that will keep beeping until the key is inserted or something...

I soldered in a switch to the CPS. It runs through the fire wall, and the switch is near the fuse box. Not too hidden...I could have done better. I figure that only a Jeep person would know what would cause that problem. If a fuel pump switch was installed also...I think that it would drive a thief nuts!

I want to install a switch panel where you have to flip the switches in a certain order and leave them flipped in that order (like a combination lock) so that it will start only when the correct sequence is flipped...say, 5 switches. no, it wouldn't be that hard to figure out, but they wouldn't know what all the switches are for...leave them unlabeled and have one activate a horn that will keep beeping until the key is inserted or something...

haha my mom had a 79 Z28 with that setup. it was a car that lived its life in Peabody mass so it was like a required thing to have, well that and it had a 2speed with a built 355 so people were all over it. i believe she ahd a cobra alarm system. the doors could be open and the key in the ignition and it could still go off.