1JTHL651XGT220218

FigurativeGarbage

1986 Jeep Comanche.

2.5L/ 4 Speed Manual/ 4x4 / Front axle / Rear axle / Wheelbase

Belfair, Washington

Gf got an electric vehicle, sold my 2017 Outback and bought this for my various house projects and hauling kayaks, etc. Figure I'll make some upgrades when I have the time and money. Like anyone else with an '86, I'm interested in swapping the 2.4L for a 3.5L from a Camaro. Doesn't need to dominate boulders or go to shows, but I could be a little more fun.

Previous owner had some mechanical knowledge. He used this to haul his motorcycle. It had a custom-made ramp bolted in. I removed it. He installed a fan, but the wiring needs to be redone (close to belts, dangerous). I paid a mechanic for some differential work and install a new bolt for the passenger seatbelt (missing when bought). I believe he replaced the exhaust and replaced much of the interior from a Chevy....Silverado? Missing speakers, nonfunctioning stereo, missing dome lights.

Not going to lie, I don't have experience working on cars, but that's why I'm here. I'm fine hiring a mechanic for things I don't have time, money, or confidence in, but it's fun learning new things.

298880434_431683082243953_2277861797977695917_n.jpg

298963049_393247732908084_6949327205002352727_n.jpg

299298890_591614459373115_516120508838171389_n.jpg

299526379_2005569192946961_7852336390236007729_n.jpg

298955225_812783379944159_3952777972247420929_n.jpg

298597392_3302354100021940_5563494343733922510_n.jpg

15 hours ago, FigurativeGarbage said:

Not going to lie, I don't have experience working on cars, but that's why I'm here.

I'm the same boat you're in. I bought my 86 Comanche late last year and I didn't know jack. The guys on here are extremely helpful and I've been learning a lot. I find working on my MJ incredibly enjoyable. You might be pulling your hair out from time to time, but you're also learning too.

Overall it looks like a nice clean truck. Like the red/black interior. Seeing a few exterior shots showing the whole vehicle will be cool...

it's even worse.  you really want the 4.10 geared rear axle that the 2.5/5spd trucks got, but you need the 5spd to go with it because 4.10s really need that overdrive gear you currently lack.  but then with bigger tires you should probably jump right to 4.56 gears.  but the dana 35 is a weak axle and a poor choice to spend that much coin on, so you'll want to grab a better rear axle (8.25/44/8.8/etc) and re-gear it to swap in.  but then you'll have to re-gear the front axle to match.  oh and the rear shaft will need to be shortened one inch to accommodate that bigger rear axle.  and at this point doing an engine swap instead is looking pretty comparable in costs, but then you're still stuck with a non-overdrive transmission...

4x4s are a slippery slope of cash expenditure.  :D  as the saying goes, "Jeep: Just Empty Every Pocket".  Keep reading and learning and I'm sure the path forward will become clear for your particular needs. :L:

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

it's even worse.  you really want the 4.10 geared rear axle that the 2.5/5spd trucks got, but you need the 5spd to go with it because 4.10s really need that overdrive gear you currently lack.  but then with bigger tires you should probably jump right to 4.56 gears.  but the dana 35 is a weak axle and a poor choice to spend that much coin on, so you'll want to grab a better rear axle (8.25/44/8.8/etc) and re-gear it to swap in.  but then you'll have to re-gear the front axle to match.  oh and the rear shaft will need to be shortened one inch to accommodate that bigger rear axle.  and at this point doing an engine swap instead is looking pretty comparable in costs, but then you're still stuck with a non-overdrive transmission...

4x4s are a slippery slope of cash expenditure.  :D  as the saying goes, "Jeep: Just Empty Every Pocket".  Keep reading and learning and I'm sure the path forward will become clear for your particular needs. :L:

Fantastic information, even if more difficult than I hoped. Thanks, Pete.

3 hours ago, FigurativeGarbage said:

Fantastic information, even if more difficult than I hoped. Thanks, Pete.

If you like working on Jeeps, it's fun!  :D  if you just pay a shop, it's a tough, expensive cookie to swallow.  :(  

but on the other hand, there's nothing wrong with leaving it stock.  :L:  It'll never be a rocket ship, and that's ok.  It's a old Jeep, not a vette.   :grinyes:

if you haven't read it yet, this thread is a great read:

• 2 weeks later...
*ZZ  
-ZZ  
AJC CENTER CONSOLE PACKAGE
BAC 75 AMP ALTERNATOR
BCQ Battery
CGX Head Restraints-Outboard Seating, RR
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
EPD ENGINE - 2.5L I4 TBI GAS
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GFD SLIDING RR WINDOW
HC0 All Vehicles W/O Air Cond
HCC HEATER W/UPR LEVEL VENTIL - TYPE II
LAP FUEL ECONOMY SHIFT INDICATOR LIGHT
LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
MDA FRT LICENSE PLATE ATTACH REQUIRED
NAE EMISS CONTROL TESTING LABEL
NFA TANK - 23 GAL FUEL
NMB ENGINE COOLING - STANDARD DUTY
SBA POWER STEERING
TBG SPARE TIRE - COMPACT
WJD WHEELS - 15 X 7.0 STYLED STEEL

Build date 6/27/86

Body code JL62

• 2 months later...

Update: idle was getting pretty rough and eventually the truck stopped starting about a month ago. My mechanically inclined neighbor is helping and we found the fuel was contaminated with rainwater (assumed). What he pulled from the tank wouldn't light on fire.

He's been tinkering with the TBI. He suspects that the ECM might be fried. I am fine ordering a new one to try it, but he suggested something I'm not sure about: replacing the TBI with a carburetor. Take out the sensors and simplify things a bit. Based on what I've read so far, I don't think I'll go that route. I haven't found much info on a TBI upgrade.

On a better note, he happens to have a 3.4L '94 camero engine. We will also work on some sloppy wiring, adjust the squealing timing belt and take out the random aftermarket fan and replace it with a clutch fan.

I'll post a photo from under the hood tomorrow.

You probably should make your own build thread as hardly anyone is going to read the registry for updates. That being said the 2.5L TBI is really easy to work with. A lot of it is simply going to be probing sensors to ensure they’re within spec of input and output voltage and cleaning the grounds as they are notorious for making the readings to the ECU screwy.