Should I ?

Tracker

I saw this thing sitting on the side of the road on the way to the desert this weekend. I didn't have time to check it out but I slowed down and took a pic. No answer at the phone #- Anyone know about year it might be?; possible axles and motor?

I'm tempted.

Well, if it's newer than '75 I think I'll pass. That's the cutoff year for emission testing and vehicles from '76 to the first TBI's are nearly impossible to get smogged without major work.

If anyone is interested or has a friend in SoCal, the area code for the phone # on the window is 661. The vehicle is sitting on Avenue "A", between 110th and 90th Streets West; just a little west of the city of Rosamond.

It should have d44's front and rear. Depending on yr.. it should have disc brakes upfront (flat top knuckles as well). If it is the 258 it should be mated to the 727TF. T-case will be a quadratrac, or a D20, maybe one of those Borq warner jobbies as well.

To me it would make a great trail beater. Do a SOA swap, crossover steering, on say 35's or 37's. A nice cage... and cut the top off behind the driver.. and proceede to wail on it :brows: All told the only real money you would have in it is the cage, and tires, and the tires can go with you to your next beater.

If you sold off the glass and sheetmetal to fanatics.. it could almost be free :nuts:

That thing is no newer than 1979. Its got a Pignose grille. Last used in 1979.

Specs can range from

360 2v/TH400/BW 13-39

3602v/ T-176 OR T-18a/ Dana20 Transfer.

258 /T15/D20

401/TH400/BW 13-39 (Otherwise known as a Quadratrac)

258/T-176/D20

It will have pass drop D-44 up front with a max gear ratio of 4.10 if you're lucky. More than likely its a 360/TH400 so it'll have 3.31's. 3.73 if its got a Tow pkg.

Its a steal, pick'er up.

If its got a Z code VIN, its a 401 rig. Search IFSJA for more on 401's haha.

The front axle is the giveaway to what year range it is. RH drop is '79 and older (square headlights mean '77 or newer) and LH drop is '80 or newer.

Cats weren't required till '78 (when 401 went away) because it's a truck.

Vin code sez what motor was OEM. Z is 401, P is 360 (something else for 360 4 bbl), C is 258 aka 4.2L.

Frame rot from the tin skidplated late model plastic fuel tanks happens just ahead of the left rear tire (from the inside!)

It has no fender flares, so it's narrow track (not all flare fendered rigs are wide track tho!)

Grills are swappable (some with a little extra work) from '63 to '91.

T176 didn't happen till '80 (and had okay gearing) T5 sometimes came with 6 cyls from '80 to '88 with NP208 (I pulled mine because the synchros was supposed to be welded to the main shaft)

Gearing is often 3.54 or 3.07 pre '80 (with 3.73 or 4.10 tow packages)

'80 and newer got 3.31 and 2.72