Jeep Axle Disk Brake Questions....... Another one

I know ....... another Axle question. Sorry, I could not find exactly what I was looking for through the search or the links. 

I am fairly lucky in that my Jeep Comanche has a Dana 44 in the rear and a Dana 30 in the front. 

I am happy with that. My questions are about disk brakes. 

While my front has disk brakes they were a pain in the butt to change and I am wondering about what it would take to change the disk brakes to a more modern version where it don't have those anti rattle clips like that? My JK pads I can change in about 30 min. Would be nice if the Comanche was easier like that also. 

I would also like the rear to have disk brakes also. I have read over some of the disk brake conversions that all use other makes disk brakes. With the aftermarket support of the JK models would it be possible and/or worth it to convert using the JK disk brakes? Is there another model jeep with all disk brakes that works? 

Is it just best to use a ZJ? 

• JWheeler331 changed the title to Jeep Axle Disk Brake Questions....... Another one

You can make anything fit if you really want to. The biggest advantage I think to the ZJ rear disks is that they‘ve been very available in wrecking yards and so on, and I don’t see the supply of parts drying up any time soon. They also have the same lug pattern and hub centre bore so you know your wheels will still fit. Going to a JK you’d be changing all that, to the point it would almost be more worthwhile just to swap out the whole axle. 

As far as the front’s concerned, I’m not entirely sure what you’re struggling with. The Allen bolt calliper bolts can be a pain but nothing else in there is too problematic. You can always swap the knuckles to go with the later style D30 callipers and brakes. You can grab them off any ‘91+ 4x4 XJ, MJ, TJ, ZJ. It’s not going to be a performance upgrade, and it won’t be any easier to change the pads, but I have found it slightly easier to find parts for the later style. 

JK axles are a different generation than XJ/MJ/TJ. JK rear brakes might fit the axle end, but they're 5x5. Rear Explorer brakes work on the d44 with a little modification of the backing plate. Front JK knuckles would bolt on, but with 2 deg negative camber, and you're stuck with the wrong bolt pattern. JK rotors are bigger so you won't find them in 5x4.5.

The front brakes changed in later years.  Specifically, the knuckles and calipers.  If your D30 has the CAD, then you may look to swap a whole axle from a later year XJ.  That way you can get the "newer" style brakes and eliminate the CAD.  Just make sure the gears match.  You 88 manual would have come from the factory with 3.07.

As for the D44, the retaining plate is different from D35 plates.  So pulling the parts from a ZJ with a D35 disk-brake set up will require modifying the retaining plate.  The D44 four retaining bolts are equally spaced (like a rectangle).  On the D35 plate, the two top bolts are closer together than the two bottom bolts.  I have seen videos where the plate is drilled to change the bolt hole locations (see Nickintime youtube).  There are disk brake conversions for a D44 that have the proper plate.

There are a couple of bolt on kits for the XJ/MJ d44. G2 makes one with the appropriate concentric ring and spacer setup you need. The d35/44 brake kits that use the newer backing plate from Crown will fit the axle flange pattern as well. 

In regards to the front, in 1990 Jeep changed the knuckles to a floating caliper design. I’ve used both oem systems extensively and it is easier to change the pads on the newer design. That being said, the knuckles you have on an 89 and earlier xj/mj d30 allow for the installation of the Wilwood big brake kit. This is a 4 piston caliper with just over a 12” rotor. Loads more stopping power as there is more pad contact area and a more even clamping force. 

Thanks for all of the tips and pointers. I am trying to learn about this stuff as I go but also trying not to buy things that in the end will not be the right stuff. I have been reading the links and watching videos as much as I can but I do learn better with hands on experience. 

Yeah, everyone starts learning somewhere. 

The ZJ did come with a variant of the d44 that had rear discs, but given it’s a ZJ-only axle it may well use the same brakes as the D35, I simply wouldn’t know to tell you. The Chrysler 8.25 rear axle out of a KJ Liberty is also a popular rear disk brake donor, but I’m pretty confident it’ll need modifications for your D44 as well. Just some more stuff for you to think about.