Cylinder head thermostat housing boss broken

89 MJ 4.0L 2WD AUTO 140k - found this delightful surprise while going after the thermostat - lower mounting boss broken off - previous owner busted it and basically RTV'd thermostat housing  it in place - any suggestion to repair without pulling head would be appreciated - reman CYL head #2686 is hard to find / expensive. 

Comments on these ideas appreciated

1) clean thoroughly and JB Weld a helicoil in place and use smaller fastener

2) drill into water jacket / tap and use longer fastener - seal with #2 permatex

3) add 2 smaller adjacent fasteners into the cylinder head face on either side of the busted one

Any other approaches would be appreciated

image.png

I might try modifying option #1.  I would use a Keensert or such. I could also see making an insert with a flange that would be counter sunk about a washers width. Then epoxy into place. Possibly combining with squaring up the back. Add washer and a nut. 

I am with Cruiser.  Drill and tap deeper, and use sealant on the threads when they penetrate the water jacket.  Older Ford V8's had threaded holes that penetrated the water jacket, and sealant kept those from leaking.

My bad - I see that bolt ought to be 5/16-18 - I would be keeping same - the current bolt is chewed up so I got the thread size wrong - I’ll also be making a temp jig to guide the drill once I determine the thermostat housing hole to hole distance - thanks for the feedback on the bolt