Instrument cluster interchangeabilty

I want to swap the idiot lights in my 88 MJ instrument cluster for gauges.

Will the oil/temp/batt/fuel gauges from a red accented, electric speedo, cluster swap into my 88 MJ blue faced cluster?

I saw Blaine.D mention here; WTB or WTT 120mph speedometer that he was swapping in a HO gauge clustering his 88 MJ. I'd love to know  what that entails.

Thanks

If you currently have the idiot light on a pre HO and would like to swap in an all electric dash, you will need to change out your temp sensor in the head to a gauge style unit. You’ll also need a vss or speed sensor in your tcase if 4wd or tranny if 2wd. Personally, i only use the 94+ vss with the short speed gears. You will need to feed it with between 5-8vdc though for the hall effect sensor to work. You’ll need to run a line to your new speedo from the vss to feed it the speed pulse signal. I believe the fuel sensor resistance changed as well on the HO models so there may be some issues there. 

2 hours ago, jdog said:

I think all you need to run that speedo is a speed sensor out of the trans. And run new wiring,  but I could be wrong

As far as the other gauges will need the correct senders

I ordered the sensors from NAPA yesterday. Thanks for the info on using HO speedometers in renix jeeps!

I'm fine with the old speedometer, which is why I was going to try swapping all of the gauges from the HO cluster (except the speedometer) into my 88 cluster. My truck already has a red/white/blue thing going on so I'm fine with the mix of gauge colors.

32 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

If you currently have the idiot light on a pre HO and would like to swap in an all electric dash, you will need to change out your temp sensor in the head to a gauge style unit. You’ll also need a vss or speed sensor in your tcase if 4wd or tranny if 2wd. Personally, i only use the 94+ vss with the short speed gears. You will need to feed it with between 5-8vdc though for the hall effect sensor to work. You’ll need to run a line to your new speedo from the vss to feed it the speed pulse signal. I believe the fuel sensor resistance changed as well on the HO models so there may be some issues there. 

Can I leave the speedometer and only swap the other gauges from the HO cluster into my 88 cluster?

13 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

On my 90 eliminator, I have the red face gauges from the factory. Why not just use that style cluster? 

I'm not necessarily opposed to it. But I don't see why I should do the extra work to make the red face speedometer work in my 88 MJ.

Although I am happy to now know what is required to run the HO Speedo in my 88MJ.

55 minutes ago, EUREKA said:

I'm not necessarily opposed to it. But I don't see why I should do the extra work to make the red face speedometer work in my 88 MJ.

Although I am happy to now know what is required to run the HO Speedo in my 88MJ.

Yeah so, if all your looking for is a full cluster with the red accents, grab a full cluster from a late mode Renix. All you need to swap is your temp sender and possibly oil pres??? It’s a mechanical speedo

Yeah it sounds like you’re going through a lot of trouble when there’s already an easy plug n play swap to keep everything Renix. If you are wanting to use your old speedo with an HO cluster, you’ll be looking at some hacking and what not to make it work and fit in there. Not to mention cutting the printed circuit on the back of the HO cluster. You’re probably better off doing the above suggestion. 

2 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Yeah so, if all your looking for is a full cluster with the red accents, grab a full cluster from a late mode Renix. All you need to swap is your temp sender and possibly oil pres??? It’s a mechanical speedo

What I am looking for is a "full cluster" (that means gauges instead of idiot lights I assume) and I don't care what color they are.

I happen to already own a spare HO full cluster. Which is why I am asking if I can leave my current speedometer in my cluster, and swap the HO gauges from my spare into my 88 cluster.

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yeah it sounds like you’re going through a lot of trouble when there’s already an easy plug n play swap to keep everything Renix. If you are wanting to use your old speedo with an HO cluster, you’ll be looking at some hacking and what not to make it work and fit in there. Not to mention cutting the printed circuit on the back of the HO cluster. You’re probably better off doing the above suggestion. 

Ok, and the easy plug and play swap would be to just find a "full cluster" renix era?

1 minute ago, EUREKA said:

Ok, and the easy plug and play swap would be to just find a "full cluster" renix era?

Yup! The only other thing to do that you’ve got covered is swapping the senders for sensors. Oh and you can easily modify the odometer on the red face speedo as well but you can easily swap your speedo around the two clusters like you have planned. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yup! The only other thing to do that you’ve got covered is swapping the senders for sensors. Oh and you can easily modify the odometer on the red face speedo as well but you can easily swap your speedo around the two clusters like you have planned. 

Thank you. I will buy a renix full cluster. I just thought that since I already had the red faced/electric speedo cluster laying around, maybe I could take the gauges out of it (minus the speedo) and use them to replace the idiot lights in my renix cluster, while leaving my existing speedo in the cluster.

I appreciate the help. Thanks guys!

22 hours ago, EUREKA said:

What I am looking for is a "full cluster" (that means gauges instead of idiot lights I assume) and I don't care what color they are.

I happen to already own a spare HO full cluster. Which is why I am asking if I can leave my current speedometer in my cluster, and swap the HO gauges from my spare into my 88 cluster.

I think you will also have to find a printed circuit board form an '88 cluster with gauges.