1JTWL6576GT130379

ExpatMJGuy

1986, Jeep, Comanche (maybe X at this age emblems can lie) 

2.8v6 / AX-15 / 4wd / Long Bed

Buford, GA ( I know it's been in Tennessee based on it's title)

I own her.  Picked Her up last night.  I honestly bought her so I could do an interior swap for that sexy factory black interior.:brows:  But there are many other useful parts that I plan to steal or swap.  Her final disposition is undecided.  She also is 4wd and main MJ is a 2WD!  So I have everything for a 4wd upgrade outside a rear drive shaft.  I might revive her, or I might part her out.  Lots of good unique or rare parts.  You can tell that at some point she was owned by some kids that did not treat her well.  Engine is a 2.8 v8 that most likely is toast.  It was taken out off-roading, then they got water in the intake and hydro locked the engine.  It sat in that state for a long time (like years) with no since of urgency to get the water out.  There's rust on the rockers so it's a long shot and I don't have great expectations but I think I might try to at least attempt to get her going.  Outside of that from underneath the floorboards look solid but truth will be revealed when I pull the carpet.  If the engine is unsalvageable and the floors are rotted out, I'll most likely part her out.  If the floor boards are clean and I can get several little things like the doors to line up better, even with a bad engine I will prolly send her on to a new home after I swap her interior for grey.  I might do it and try to turn a profit if I can find a cheap v8.  I just hate seeing good MJs trashed for a few basic parts.  Tomorrow we will start to find this out.  I'm done for the day after playing yard, garage, and driveway Tetris with running and non-running vehicles.

If someone has a lead on that black strip at the bottom of the dash and an ashtray I'd appreciate it.

Oh and someone has already swapped the BA10 for an AX-15 so BONUS!

Also can anyone tell me if this is factory or aftermarket back glass?  

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2297.jpeg

IMG_2298 Large.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_2304.jpeg

*ZZ TRIM STYLE ZZ - PLASTIC BUCKET SEAT
-ZZ  
AJY Popular Equipment Package
BAC 75 AMP ALTERNATOR
BCQ Battery - Maintenance Free
CGW  
CKA CARPETS - CLASS I SHORT PILE 8 - 12 OZ
CUF FULL LENGTH FRONT CONSOLE
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
EFB ENGINE - 2.8L GM 6CYL
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GFD SLIDING RR WINDOW
GPB DUAL - O/S MIRR PKG - LOW MOUNT - CHROME
HAA AIR CONDITIONING - FRONT
HCC HEATER W/UPR LEVEL VENTIL - TYPE II
JHA WINDSHIELD WIPERS - DELUXE
JJA CIGAR LIGHTER - FRT COMP
K60 BODY SIDE MLDGS - VINYL
LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
MDA FRT LICENSE PLATE ATTACH REQUIRED
MFD BRIGHT GRILLE - TYPE I
NAA ESA W/CATALYST (EXC CALIF SYSTEM)
NFA TANK - 23 GAL FUEL
NMB ENGINE COOLING - STANDARD DUTY
RAB Radio - AM/FM
SBA POWER STEERING
SCE STRG WHL - EURO/SPORT TYPE
SUA TILT STEERING COLUMN

Build date 1/6/86

Body code JM62

Sweet thanks Eagle!  And thanks Pete.  That glass is making it's way into my shortbed for sure then!  I got a factory solid pane and what I found out after I bought it is an aftermarket slider but I like idea of factory glass!  Solid pane will go in if I try to save this thing!

Did it not show the original selling dealer this time?

And does anyone know what the earliest build dates are for these things?

As I'm looking at this Jeep more and more, @Pete MI'm thinking you may have another bed to come pick up and it's right down the road. LOL

As I get into it so far... yeah there's no crazy rust yet but there's lots of surface rust spots under the hood.  You want to do it right you need strip it down to the bare truck without the engine and such to get to that surface rust before it becomes more than surface.  That's a big restoration job when there is much cleaner stuff out there cheap. 

Tried to put power to it nothing.  No headlights nothing.  Body ground has continuity.  Hot power to the starter.  Replaced all the fuses.  I see a lot of roads lead through the ignition switch which barely turns but still doesn't explain the headlights not working.  Some of the wire under the hood seems brittle.  Was going to hunt the yellow fuse box feed wire but gave up and decided I was done for the day.  

IMG_3174.jpeg

18 minutes ago, ExpatMJGuy said:

I was just reading in 1JTHX6516GT209964 and it was said that it's build date of 6/9/86 was the second oldest build date found so far.  What is the oldest found so far? Because this one was built 1/6/86.

production started in july 1985.  :L:   you can download and organize the chart we've accumulated in here: 

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

production started in july 1985.  :L:   you can download and organize the chart we've accumulated in here: 

Well...  Guess what I read wasn't right.  I'm 263 as of Jan 9th.  That's an incredible list when get into it.

I've talked to a couple of buds that are local to me that are Jeep nuts that either have or have had Comanches.  It's been decided that it will be parted out.  It sat up in a field and as much as I want to save it, she's just too far gone.  To properly save this Jeep she needs stripped to the CORE and given a good electrolysis bath and then have proper body work done.  I hate it when people let these things go like that.  All because someone hydrolocked the the engine and then when it sat the rodents got to the wires and the next owner that tried didn't understand fusible links and let it sit even longer in another field.  Can it be saved at this point yes.  But when you look at it from a cost analysis of what it would take vs would is already out there for the money this Jeep would loose every time.    I hate it, but on the flip side it hasn't been out in the field so long to rot many of the more valuable parts she still has.  There are MANY good usable parts still that will make other Jeeps (especially mine :D) better vehicles for it.  Once I get her apart and decide what I'm keeping and what I'm selling I'll start posting in the for sale section of the forum.  Maybe except the bed. @Pete M I don't want to store it.

To quote Bones in Star Trek 6 "My God Man!  I tried to save him!  I was desperate to save him!"

4 hours ago, acfortier said:

I think in 86 there was either the AX-4 or AX-5 behind the 2.8L, once the 4.0 was introduced it got the BA 10/5 until 89 when they switched over to the AX-15?

@acfortier I'll attach some pics I took the other day, they aren't the best but it's what I have.  It's got what I have assumed is the the ax-15 stripe. If the AX-4 or AX-5 has the same spacer plate I don't think I could tell them apart.  I can take more pics when I pull the transmission down.  Once that happens I'm going to take it to a transmission shop to validate it because I'd like to use this transmission in my 88 due to it being a 4wd model.  I'd be one pissed off SOB if I put this thing in my truck and it sticks and grinds though all the gears.

Anybody got a real good transmission guy within driving distance of the Atlanta area?

IMG_2346.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

66352997176__3165DD82-9463-4CDA-9FC9-E82417740888.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

@Pete M I had that thought.  But the reality is with it not running, is someone going to be willing to travel this far south for a carcass?  Prolly not for the price I'd need to sell it whole.  The reality is with the guy I bought it from failing to tell me it had a crap ton of electrical problems, At I paid too much for it.  I never would have given him what I paid if I had known I'd hook a battery up to it and it would be a pure cluster $%^.  It's not just about the money but the time to work these problems out to break even or turn a profit.

As far as the transmission goes the AX-5 never occurred to me.  I was just thinking Peugeot vs the AX.  When I crawled under it at the seller's house I thought someone had already done a swap and I had just hit the lottery.  I just read up on the AX-5 vs the AX-15.  I've got an AX-5.  Magnet sticks to the collar on the case and the drain plug is on the passenger side.  It didn't occur to me that the 2.8 would use a different transmission from the 4.0.  Up to this point I figured 6 cyl was a 6 cyl when it comes to transmissions.  Another hard lesson learned from experience I guess.  Oh well.  Someone with a 2.8 or a 2.5 will want this thing and I have a front axle and linkage I didn't have before.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 6:29 PM, ExpatMJGuy said:

I was just reading in 1JTHX6516GT209964 and it was said that it's build date of 6/9/86 was the second oldest build date found so far.  What is the oldest found so far? Because this one was built 1/6/86.

That post said "This is currently the second oldest MJ a member has posted" which is still accurate. The ones in the spreadsheet without CC links came from the Chrysler database courtesy of Eaglescout526, so not posted by CC members as theirs or ones they've found.

@89 MJI’m trying to walk a line with this one.  It’s got a clean title so I don’t want to really see it die for no good reason but she needs some TLC.  I want to try to get what I can off this one, sell some stuff to recoup some of my losses and then have a rolling, chasis for someone else to do what really needs done with the body and put a driveline in her.