Tips on refreshing an old American made black and decker circular saw?

m2bandit

My dad has had this saw at least since the 80's I've seen it all through my childhood. In fact I've seen the cord slowly shrink down to the 3 foot size it is now.

I didn't want to see it get tossed so I want to refresh it.

It seems to run fine but screams like a banshee when the trigger is released.

It's a model 7308 type 2.

Anyway I know nothing about saws, and I realize it isn't worth the bearings I would put into it.

But for nostalgia's sake what should I do to it?

20211216_185718.jpg.f3062716f85b6bcda04ab9f940a70281.jpg

20211216_185708.jpg.11cf87db54ea56d797c1a31fe926984b.jpg

You can search your area for a company that does electric motor rewinding.  If they can't help, they may know a company that can.

Good luck.  I have a DeWalt radial arm saw that was my dad's.  As long as I can remember, it was in our basement.  I was born in '64, so it is probably sixty years old or more.  It still works fine (for what I need from it).

1 hour ago, m2bandit said:

haha ok, Thanks.
That cord does have a lot of character / fire hazards though.

Fire hazards is not as big an issue as an electrical shock issue. Be it laying on floor and some water is near, or as I have done personally, :doh: grab the cord to hold out of the way while cutting and gotta poke to wake me up. 

You should be able to get a replacement cord (universal) from Lowe's or Home Despot.

With a plastic body, I would not be surprised if that saw uses sintered bronze bushings rather than bearings. (Like the XJ/MJ fan motors.) Try oiling the bushings or bearings and see if it helps. Ultimately, you may have to replace.

A quick google search on the model number shows it does indeed have bushings instead of bearings and most everything is obsolete on it.  I'd leave it just the way it is.  Take the blade out (or not) set it on a shelf and be reminded of days gone past.  I used to own one of those myself back in my carpenter days.  Eventually it was stolen along with some other cheap tools.  Very happy to have upgraded from there at the Big Tool Box, otherwise known to many of us as the "Big Fool Box."