XJ overhead console in a MJ

A few of us have toyed with the idea, I even got a great deal on a grey 94 GC overhead console and brand new temp sensor. I found that when I test mounted it I hit my head on the thing all the time (I am only 5'11). IMHO the poster hornbrod wins the award for temp sensors by utilizing the clock panel in his 91. I went another route and bought the quadratec CIPA auto dimming mirror with temp/compass and map lights. GoJEEPS website had a lot of good information if you choose to go with the overhead console. :cheers:

I put in newer style cherokee short visors (using my original clips) and a (chevy yukon???) OHC in my comanche. didn't hook the lights up yet and there are no other electronics to speak of...but it looks GREAT! I'll recover it and the headliner in black when I finish the interior resore

n69205416_31786883_8117.jpg

n69205416_31786884_8373.jpg

n69205416_31786885_8644.jpg

sorry for the dark pictures.

you need to use short visors with your project

I put in newer style cherokee short visors (using my original clips) and a (chevy yukon???) OHC in my comanche. didn't hook the lights up yet and there are no other electronics to speak of...but it looks GREAT! I'll recover it and the headliner in black when I finish the interior resore

Depending on the year chevy yukon??? console you installed, most of the functions (except the lights and perhaps the temp if you have the sensor) will not work because your MJ is not OBD2. But it's a nice looking ornament though jamminz.gif

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2001&start=45

There is right after I wired it up. Since then I have gotten a complete OHC and trimmed it a bit longer so it fits the entire cab. Cut it right before the rear lights so it has both brackets. And since my headliner still is not made it sits behind my seats and one that is JUST the gauge part is mounted to the metal that the visors are on.

Alex

Depending on the year chevy yukon??? console you installed, most of the functions (except the lights and perhaps the temp if you have the sensor) will not work because your MJ is not OBD2. But it's a nice looking ornament though jamminz.gif

the camaro engine from 96 and IS OBD II last I checked...

regardless, that thing has no functions other than the lights. I didnt want any, because I don't need anything telling me what direction I'm going (my experience is that these are faulty sensors), or the outside temperature. cold is cold, warm is warm, and I have an impeccable sense of direction (usually). I will be installing something else up there. but that's my little secret until it's complete.

it does serve as storage for sunglasses, garage door opener, and a storage unit in the back section, plus map lights. it's handy, and the amount of storage is nice inside that MJ. too bad it's out of action right now.

the camaro engine from 96 and IS OBD II last I checked...

Ah, didn't know you had a 96 in there. I like the outside temp gauge only to let me know if it's approaching freezing and the roads are starting to ice up. And to let me know how crappy my A/C is when it's 100* or so. And yes agree, the compass is useless. But some of these consoles had a MPG gauge which may be useful. Or maybe I really don't want to know :eek:

I Modified a cherokee console and had it recovered.. I have not wired it up yet I did it mainly for the extra lights....

looks really really good :D

I have one that's identical that I'm putting in my cherokee with a sunroof...will be cut off right after the lights in order to work.

Any extra interior lights you can get always helps too! My 91 already had the lighted vanity mirrors, and the renault rear interior lightss that sell for $70 on ebay just don't cut it.

You can always put one of these in too:

Image Not Found

Which one is that? Actually I got the Quadratec CIPA 6500 with the lights, auto dimming, and temp/compass very expensive but worth it. FOr extra storage lockable storage I went with the Tuffy insert to the center console. Installed really easy and looks pretty good. I kept hitting my head on that overhead console, I guess my torso must be longer than others.

2365943_29_full.jpg

2365943_33_full.jpg

Which one is that? Actually I got the Quadratec CIPA 6500 with the lights, auto dimming, and temp/compass very expensive but worth it. FOr extra storage lockable storage I went with the Tuffy insert to the center console. Installed really easy and looks pretty good. I kept hitting my head on that overhead console, I guess my torso must be longer than others.

That's just a mirror from some GM with built-in map lights. I'm thinking of swapping it out with a auto-dimming model w. Homelink so I can use it to open my garage door and other stuff. Either do that or modify the garage door remote so I can open the door with a dash switch and eliminate the 12V remote battery.