Bed Lighting

1 hour ago, watchamakalit said:

I don't think drilling will be needed depending on placement. If I remember correctly there is a hole in the very front corner of the bed at the top under the rail. 

Thanks!  That was what I was hoping for. 

Anyone have a picture of this?  

So I've been thinking of doing this myself so I'll give you some ideas. I plan on using an led rope light under the bed rails.

Here's how I'd do it.  I've got a aftermarket fuse box in my truck. I'll run power from my fuse to a switch in the cab. In the factory switch spots. Take the wire out of the switch through an existing grommet in the firewall and down under the truck. Up to the drain hole in the bed with wire loom over the wire possibly or I may take it up and over the top of the bed in the back because I have a tool box to hide it. Then just wire led rope lights into the wire that was run from cab. It's fuse protected run in wire loom all the way to the bed. 

Me personally I plan on using color changing rope lights which I know has a computer box that needs to stay dry. Run my wire completey the same as before take it into the toolbox. Have all the led light controller in there. Mount two light strips in the tool box. Run the wires out of either side of the toolbox to the rope lights under the bed rails. I can still turn them on and off from the cab and they'll stay set at the same color. Which will normally be white.

I haven't bought any yet. I'm planning on it I'm just trying to find the best ones for me. All in all it should cost about 50 bucks to do it my way. Lights, switch, and some wire to run from battery to switch and to the bed If needed.

7 hours ago, GrizzzzBear said:

I ran the wire for lights, simil;ar to what others say to.

The lights I have are a Trailer Side Marker light. Put out tons of light.

Secured with tape and Silicone.

You know that ain't a bad idea for just a plain one colored light. I know you can buy white led bed light sets real cheap but that ain't a bad idea at all.

I really like the part about silicone for securing them because you can easily melt it off to remove it. That maybe how I secure mine because I don't believe tape will hold up long term.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:16 AM, CornFed said:

So I've been thinking of doing this myself so I'll give you some ideas. I plan on using an led rope light under the bed rails.

Here's how I'd do it.  I've got a aftermarket fuse box in my truck. I'll run power from my fuse to a switch in the cab. In the factory switch spots. Take the wire out of the switch through an existing grommet in the firewall and down under the truck. Up to the drain hole in the bed with wire loom over the wire possibly or I may take it up and over the top of the bed in the back because I have a tool box to hide it. Then just wire led rope lights into the wire that was run from cab. It's fuse protected run in wire loom all the way to the bed. 

Me personally I plan on using color changing rope lights which I know has a computer box that needs to stay dry. Run my wire completey the same as before take it into the toolbox. Have all the led light controller in there. Mount two light strips in the tool box. Run the wires out of either side of the toolbox to the rope lights under the bed rails. I can still turn them on and off from the cab and they'll stay set at the same color. Which will normally be white.

I haven't bought any yet. I'm planning on it I'm just trying to find the best ones for me. All in all it should cost about 50 bucks to do it my way. Lights, switch, and some wire to run from battery to switch and to the bed If needed.

Where is your aftermarket fuse box?  is this in addition to the stock one or is it a replacement for stock?

2 hours ago, Tex06 said:

Where is your aftermarket fuse box?  is this in addition to the stock one or is it a replacement for stock?

It aint nothing fancy and it don't look good. It's an little 5 fuse box that they sell at o reilys. I wired it in and temporarily slid it under the floor heat and the rubber mat. Look to the top left corner of the shifter. I can get better pictures. In hindsight I found out you can get a much better 10 fuse box that I could've mounted in the passenger side under the dash and may still consider it.

20210914_200043.jpg

In order from right to left Radio fuse because my harness was shot. I ran it up to the right most switch on the dash and then to the radio. Then my 12v plug was installed. I added that I wasn't in my truck from the factory. I have the phone mount/switch panel coming to replace it with. Then the red wire runs to the cb radio which is grounded by the gas pedal mount.20211124_134753.jpg.429a06a0fee24af858c20d9fdaa07810.jpg20211120_223346.jpg.b6eaff8361b77ad7fb9679d6915d3dac.jpg

Edit to add. I do plan on replacing that with a bigger and better fuse box and relocating it to the passenger floor board as it has more space. I can easily adjust the wiring harness as it sits to accommodate relocating it to a better location. This was a temporary solution that became semi permanent. 

Edited by CornFed
ETA

On 11/23/2021 at 10:58 PM, CornFed said:

You know that ain't a bad idea for just a plain one colored light. I know you can buy white led bed light sets real cheap but that ain't a bad idea at all.

I really like the part about silicone for securing them because you can easily melt it off to remove it. That maybe how I secure mine because I don't believe tape will hold up long term.

I had used the Tape, to hold the Wires & Lights in place, while the Silicone Cured/Dried.

Had to move the lights, they came off pretty easy. No troubles to reuse them or wiring.