1986 Comanche “Big John”

So, I never expected it to ever come to this.

As some backstory, this truck sat outside, with the hood up, weeds growing through it since ~2009

the 2.8 was stuck solid. I couldn’t turn it even with a long breaker bar

and now it runs. And pretty decent at that even on 12 year old gas.

Sadly I don’t have any pictures of it after I drove it. It’s not happy trying to move, which I think is a combination of low trans fluid and a stuck parking brake. So have a picture of when I stole the receiver hitch off of it. I did take the topper off, so it anyone wants a long bed Lear topper, please let me know.

B8D8831F-E4C2-4FB3-A70D-0538C0CDB5F3.jpeg

BB2721A9-9984-45C7-9680-4100AEA3EB0E.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, after much consideration, this truck will end up at a scrapyard. The frame is rotting from the inside out and it’s no longer safe for highway use. The 2.8 is knocking hard and the drivers door quite literally rusted off. I will save any non-powertrain parts for anyone if interested. I am saving the tailgate and taillights personally though.

C1541FFE-2610-4F52-859F-3C3C804BDE39.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dickinson County Comanche said:

Unfortunately, after much consideration, this truck will end up at a scrapyard. The frame is rotting from the inside out and it’s no longer safe for highway use. The 2.8 is knocking hard and the drivers door quite literally rusted off. I will save any non-powertrain parts for anyone if interested. I am saving the tailgate and taillights personally though.

C1541FFE-2610-4F52-859F-3C3C804BDE39.jpeg

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully you can get enough out of this ones parts to put into other projects.

4 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

Could you possibly get some measurements on the tow mirror holes?  And if possible where the braces for the tow mirrors inside the door mount?

I would also be interested in the flag mirror delete panels.

I’ll look at taking the mirror off and measuring it this weekend. The truck has the exterior blockoffs, but not the interior ones, I already took those after I replaced my remote mirrors with manual ones.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

it's just steel.  keep adding more until you happy with the results. :D  this sounds like a perfect candidate for some serious offroad upgrades. :comanche:

I’d most likely have to replace every inch of steel in the frame. I have no clue how bad the rust is within the frame rails but judging by the holes it’s not great. + every brake line in the rear. Every time it seems I patch them it leaks somewhere else. :dunno:

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

if it's got a clean title, the stripped out and rusty cab might still be worth scrap price to someone building an offroader from the ground up.  less than 19,000 left on the road. 

I went out with a hammer and tapped the frame and it’s surprising solid. Maybe I’ll save it yet. It’ll need a powertrain swap.

The Chevy 3.4l V6 is practically a plug and play replacement for the 2.8l.  I have owned the 4.0 in the past (Cherokee), and upgraded my Comanche from a 2.8 to the 3.4.  I was very pleased with the results.  Only change was an electric fuel pump to replace the mechanical one, because the 3.4l does not have the opening for a mechanical pump. 

On 2/28/2022 at 12:28 AM, lippetd said:

The Chevy 3.4l V6 is practically a plug and play replacement for the 2.8l.  I have owned the 4.0 in the past (Cherokee), and upgraded my Comanche from a 2.8 to the 3.4.  I was very pleased with the results.  Only change was an electric fuel pump to replace the mechanical one, because the 3.4l does not have the opening for a mechanical pump. 

did you re-balance the flywheel or use an S-10 one?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m going to have to finish this truck’s history here. With the 2.8s lower-end failure and the sheer amount of rot it would be unviable to bring this truck back. Don’t fret though, it helped 2 Comanches stay on the road with its parts, gave a new lease on life for another Comanche via it’s transmission, and it’ll be a nice wood-hauling trailer and maybe even a nice trail camper trailer in the future.

And I might add: these trucks, even when rotted practically in half, are quite stiff. I was shocked by just how strong they are.

82DD219C-5904-4C2D-A7F2-3785D5F4B351.jpeg