E-Brake Pedal Won't Hold (Brake Works Though)

Hey all, 

My parking brake pedal won't stay engaged, almost like the release won't disengage completely (I can hear the teeth catch, but then it almost immediately slips along the teeth with a CLACK-CLACK-CLACK sound and the pedal releases completely).

Any ideas? 

The brake itself works, I've tested it multiple times, it's just that the pedal won't hold, so if I want the brake to be engaged full time, I have to hold the pedal down myself, which, for obvious reasons, defeats the purpose of a parking brake to begin with :laugh:

The factory parking brake mechanisms suffer from a design flaw (my guess is improperly hardened ratchet teeth) that basically means EVERY MJ parking brake mechanism will do this eventually. This was the subject of a recall for 1986 models, but it's present in all of them. You can refinish the teeth and add stronger springs, but my guess is that it's probably going to happen again.

I'll be converting my 89 to a hand parking brake for exactly this reason. No way I can trust them again after seeing pictures of some of the worn teeth.