89 Rear Brake Drum Removal

Assuming you backed the adjuster all the way down, the drum tends to "rust weld" around the axle shaft hub.

Try a little heat, eather from a torch or even a propane torch around the hub, on the drum it's self, and that will expand the metal alittle and it will pop off. Put the heat between the studs and the hub, and go all around the drum.

Take it from some one in the rust belt, it works :D

Oh......and welcome to the ComancheClub :waving:

And if anyone has steel wheels and lives in the rust belt, I recommend putting a dab of anti-seize on the drums where the rim contacts it. Nothing ruins your day like being stranded on the side of the road with a simple flat tire but you can't get the bad tire off. :( (happened with my sisters TJ when she was running the rusty rims off my 86 MJ)

Pete -

Funny you should say that. I removed the left rear wheel today and it was rust-welded to the drum. I had to lower the tire slightly back to the ground (I could still turn it by hand) and the kick the heck out of it to loosen it up.

Robert

I picked up an '89 MJ lasy year with steel rims. All four were pretty badly rusted onto the drums/rotors/hubs. I was able to get three of them off by putting a 2x4 against the tire and beating it with a sledge hammer. The right front, however, was not cooperating. I eventually gave up on the 2x4 and tried whacking the tire directly. No better. Then I looked at the numbers of alloy rims I have, and the number of steel rims that I'll probably never use or be able to give away ... and attacked the rim with the sledge hammer. I got it off, but there isn't much left of the rim.