Cold air intake help

Working out some bugs I found after my trip out to Carlisle. One of which being how hot the intake temps were while sitting in traffic. Trying to figure out a real legit cold air intake for this thing. My idea is to build a box for the filter completely sealed, and then cut a 4 inch hole below it, and have a hose routed through the fender area from the fog light opening right up to the filter box. Would it be okay to cut a hole right below the filter, will it affect anything structural? Open to any and all ideas. I do not have much room anywhere else except where the current one is at. 

PXL_20210727_221742225.jpg

PXL_20210727_221750346.jpg

Snorkel? :teehee:

What about cowl intake?

Will it see raining days? No want to suck in water..

Did you beef up the front Crossmember area by chance? I wouldnt think a hole would effect 🤔 structure but with the hp your rocking then maybe.  

13 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Snorkel? :teehee:

What about cowl intake?

Will it see raining days? No want to suck in water..

Did you beef up the front Crossmember area by chance? I wouldnt think a hole would effect 🤔 structure but with the hp your rocking then maybe.  

I thought about a cowl intake but the less hose it's sucking through the better. And it does see rain but if it's bad I ain't driving it. I thought about an air intake hole in the bumper and some mesh over it. Keeps it kinda high still. 

Only thing I got is the steering brace. I think I may need to run stiffeners eventually.

I would absolutely build a box and go with your plan.  as long as the filter is not in the direct path of any potential rain, it'll be fine. :D   the filter material will do a great job of preventing splashes from getting to the engine. :L:

Are you looking for performance gain?

I got sucked in to thinking like Jeep people, I decide to walk away. 

Let me give you an example- 

Cowl induction, somewhat of a gimmick. Even on a Camaro or El Camino or whatever, fresh air at best. 

Jeep cowl induction? The cowl box is in a low pressure area if not a down right vacuum. For driving over a tree stump...cowls, snorkels, or whatever you cobble up, it really isn't going to matter. 

Transversely, when doing a rolling romp from 30mph you want cool fresh air rushing into your intake. 

You've go to get that intake to the grille. Ram-air works. 

I find Gale Banks somewhat cringey but there is no other when it comes to ram-air designs. 

Follow his latest project and you'll understand. 

You are in the performance arena now, it's time to leave the Herd. 

Doing what you described will gain you nothing. Frankly, may even cost you some horsepower.