MJ trailer....worth it?

Smokeyyank

I think you’d have a tough time finding a bed that nice and so portable if you were looking for one, and if you were wanting an MJ trailer I doubt you’d be able to build one for the money without already having everything you needed lying around. And around here it’s pretty well the sort of money you’re looking at for any trailer that’s not going to need a ton of work.

I personally don’t have a usage case for a trailer like that, and think that it’s an awfully small space for a camper, so to me it’s not worth much more than the sum of its parts, which would be more useful to me.

But I do think it would be a pretty cool trailer to have if it’s something useful to you, and not easily replicated if it’s something you want. 
I guess what I’m saying is what something is worth is very subjective. I would have a hard time justifying paying that much for something I don’t really want or need, but it seems like a not super unreasonable price if it’s something I might want.

For the most part I was just thinking about parts. If I ever need a trailer I just borrow my dads but in looking at it has some decent parts which I guess is more what I was looking for. May just have to grab it if I can. 

all depends on what you want to do with it.  I don't fit well trying to sleep in a shortbed with the gate up.  :( 

I love my trailer and take it all over the place. :D  can't imagine life without one.  

A dinky, mesh floor, open utility trailer from Tractor Supply will cost you a grand, and what have you got? A dinkly, open utility trailer from Tractor Supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-open-mesh-floor-utility-trailer-5x8sp-gen

If that thing were anywhere near me, it wouldn't still be for sale.

Welp.......

Sadly it was not half a comanche. Guy fabbed a trailer frame and put the bed on top. But has a really good bed tailgate and tail lights. Toppers okay. I have no use for it though. More than likely end up selling that.

IMG_20210723_164850261_HDR.jpg

Having never built one myself, but having messed around maintaining a bunch of variously questionable homebuilt trailers, I would guess that a custom frame would be more suited to the task. It would make it much easier to use “normal” off-the-shelf parts that you can find anywhere. It would make it easier to set up brakes with a normal trailer axle, and could easily be lighter than the original frame.

That said it could also have been built to use just whatever was laying around, which, well… let’s just say I’ve spent far more time than I should have needed to trying to track down grease seals for spindles and hubs that haven’t been used since felt seals were all the rage.

It’s also possible something else was going onto the truck the bed came off, making it impractical to remove portions of the truck’s frame. 

So the more I've thought about it, I think I'm going to sell off the MJ stuff; bed, topper, tailgate and taillights. Keep the trailer portion and make it it to a camping trailer. The MJ bed is too nice to beat up, no rust, no dents and better suited for someone looking for a clean bed. Functionality wise I'd be better at making the trailer for my camping stuff then using the MJ bed. I'll start posing later. Going out of town for a bit. 

• 3 weeks later...