amc 2.5 dies on startup

9 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Sounds like we will be checking the fuel pump circuit. Also year helps tremendously due to the differences between the 86 set up and 87-90

its an 86

14 minutes ago, Pete M said:

testing procedures for the various sensors are in the link in my signature :L:   also there are the PDFs of the various factory shop manuals. 

ill check it out 

17 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

86 2.5L is a fun different animal. I do recommend checking the fuel pump circuit, as with the CPS just in case and cruisers ground cleaning tips in case they haven’t been done in ever. 

cps was the first thing I checked seems to be in working order, I have done all the grounds except for the fuel pump one behind the taillight even added the 2 grounds as well 

ill check the fuel pump circuit sometime before tomorrow 

I did not clean the CPS

Fuel pump circuit extends from the relay under the relay center cover to the fuel pump. I would mostly check for resistance/voltage drop in this case. Theres a 25 page epic of helping another member and his 86 2.5L. Course it was the fuel injector but we helped him check the entire fuel pump circuit to ensure it the fuel pump was getting voltage.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Fuel pump circuit extends from the relay under the relay center cover to the fuel pump. I would mostly check for resistance/voltage drop in this case. Theres a 25 page epic of helping another member and his 86 2.5L. Course it was the fuel injector but we helped him check the entire fuel pump circuit to ensure it the fuel pump was getting voltage.

well I already have a napa injector coming tomorrow I had planned on replacing it before the problem even started, am a little confused on how to check the fuel pump circuit even with your explanation maybe I'm just dumb lol.. is there a wiring diagram available somewhere? I am sure there is one somewhere but a simple google search did not suffice

Yup, as Pete said, theres the PDFs. Now the 88 one that we all reference here is a little different from the 86 set up but not by much. 
What I mean by checking the circuit means breaking it up into sections and checking for resistance and making sure you get complete 12v at the fuel sending unit.

22 hours ago, mj_lover69 said:

dies on startup right away if I don't give it any gas and if it does not die it runs roughish for bit until it evens out, was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be to give me a head start 

I had a similar problem, check all the ground and double check the map sensor. Mine wouldn’t run without a new map sensor!