Bolens G14XL

I was up at the neighbor’s the other day when they said that that had an old Bolens up on the hill that they wanted to get rid of. We walked up there and took a look at it and told me I could have it if I wanted it. So, I did the right thing and acquired another project. It’s in surprisingly good shape, really. I think this one is going to be the tractor for mowing around the house. 

I was told it ran when parked and that it needs a PTO clutch. This tractor does not have a hydrostatic, but I’d rather a 4 speed. It is considered a Medium Frame, which is larger than my other Bolens, despite this one having 1 fewer horsepower. The only things I’ve done at this point is free up the lift arm and pressure wash it. Progress will pick up after the Eagle is done and the MJ is ready for the All Breeds Jeep Show. 
58F5604A-EF64-4CC2-9531-2A420C2566BF.jpeg.2431bb8127815c76584cbd438fbbde93.jpeg5D758E3F-7C54-40B6-9970-593FB242EB7A.jpeg.a421c074af84dbbf79d9807a32731489.jpeg

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

can't blame ya.  I could see myself getting into old tractors too. :D 

They are a lot cheaper and easier to fix than MJs! Not quite as cool though…

• 3 months later...

I finally had a chance to start working on this Bolens today. The engine had a ring of rust in the cylinder, so we short some penetrating oil in there and let it sit for a few minutes. That freed it up enough to let the starter crank it over. Compression is great, as I put the spark plug back in, gave it a shot of starting fluid and it ran for the first time in many years. 

On Monday night, I wirewheeled and put chassis saved on the major rust spots on it. 

B077338E-8F8E-4F84-A805-DDEDFAD07A5B.jpeg.ffa57877594fc4d6bc5e456eeaa280c2.jpeg70775F47-0140-4A57-B4A3-078F7E1F72AD.jpeg.0f1c240d7e269d405c7b4b0ac0dcdc4c.jpeg

Last night, I got the original throttle cable freed up so I can move the tractor while I wait for my other one that USPS lost. We also decided that we should try to see if it moves. I couldn’t get first or second gear because I think there is some rust on the clutch linkage not allowing it to go into all of the gears and preventing the clutch pedal from returning like it’s supposed to. I put it in third gear while sitting on it and my dad slowly lifted his foot off of the clutch, and it moved! We had it about two feet away from the shop door and it pulled the tires and almost hit it, but we got it in neutral quick enough. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It drives!

Now I just need my rear tires to arrive, I need to change the front and rear tires, rebuilt the fuel pump, swap the throttle cable, put the hood back on, and get a new battery. It’s close!

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

Good rubber, nice. :popcorn: You going to paint the body as well? 

Not at this point. Most of the paint is still there. I might buff it out some because I tried it on a small spot, and it shined up really well. Plus, the wheel paint is a direct-to-metal paint, which I would not do on the body. 

10 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Cleaned up nice. Now just need to swsp that seat for a heated hi-lo seat. :brows:

That would be nice!

5 minutes ago, watchamakalit said:

I would suggest some tire chains and some weight. won't push much snow like that.

Unless you get a good running start. Lol

I have been looking for both weights and chains, as that is what is on mine other one too, but I haven’t come up with anything yet. Last year, I ran a 1556 with just a blower and only had issues backing up without chains, and that tractor weighs about the same with the weights as this one does without, so I’m hoping the new tires will be soft enough that I can get away with it for a little while at least. 

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

That would be nice!

I have been looking for both weights and chains, as that is what is on mine other one too, but I haven’t come up with anything yet. Last year, I ran a 1556 with just a blower and only had issues backing up without chains, and that tractor weighs about the same with the weights as this one does without, so I’m hoping the new tires will be soft enough that I can get away with it for a little while at least. 

Blowing snow and pushing it are 2 different scenarios. Pushing takes more traction. Look into adding rv antifreeze to the tires for some added weight.

56 minutes ago, watchamakalit said:

Blowing snow and pushing it are 2 different scenarios. Pushing takes more traction. Look into adding rv antifreeze to the tires for some added weight.

I'm sure I'll have to do something, Thank you.