Coolant temp sensor location

I have an ‘88 Comanche with the Renix 4.0L and it has the closed coolant system with no radiator cap and reservoir on the firewall. Where is the coolant temperature sensor located at on these? I tried looking through forums but folks seem to have the hardest time staying on track or not repeating the info that doesn’t apply to this system lol any and all help will be more than appreciated!! 

Which one?

The one that sends a signal to the gauge cluster (or idiot light) is on the left (driver's side) rear corner of the head. The one that sends data to the ECU is on the lower, driver's side of the block. The one that triggers the auxiliary fan (if you have one) is in the diver's side radiator tank.

6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Which one?

The one that sends a signal to the gauge cluster (or idiot light) is on the left (driver's side) rear corner of the head. The one that sends data to the ECU is on the lower, driver's side of the block. The one that triggers the auxiliary fan (if you have one) is in the diver's side radiator tank.

I originally wanted to replace the one that the temp gauge reads from but I’ve recently come across a new found over-heating issue and figure I might as well swap em both out while I’m at it. As for the one on the radiator that I keep reading about… it has looked like this since I’ve owned the vehicle (a little over a year) 

7C697C37-694B-4023-82E0-210F4CCF0B1D.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 8:17 AM, cruiser54 said:

Neither sender/sensor will cure an overheating issue. That radiator looks skanky.

Perfect time to convert to an open cooling system.

Get a NR2802 radiator from NAPA. It will have the cap on it. 

I really wish I had seen this sooner before just buying shiny new parts online..smh lol But it now has a brand new aluminum radiator along with everything else in the cooling system besides the heater core and fan blade being replaced. My issue was ultimately the head gasket. The open system would have been substantially easier to burp!

Okay, I don't want to hi-jack this thread but can someone tell me more about this temp sensor on the lower driver side of the block. I have an 87 4.0 with 2 sensors on the lower driver side of the block. one is behind the engine mount and the other is a little farther back on the block and right at the bottom of the block. Which one is which? the one that is farther back is broken and I need to replace it but I'm not sure what to order. Thanks for any help available.