My 88' Comanche Named Patti

1988 Jeep Comanche

-Eliminator Package

-4.0, AX15, Dual NP 231 T-cases

-D30 up front, Ford 8.8 going in the rear

-Current location is Arlington, WA

I bought this Comanche on January 1st, 2021 and drove down to North Oregon to trailer it back. I have been looking for a wheeling rig for a while but didn't want the usual Toyota or YJ wheeler. I stumbled across this Manche for a good price and with the things that have been done already, I figured it would be a great starting point for a weekend wheeler/daily driver.

I am aware that 88' Eliminators came only in 2wd but the previous owner converted it to 4wd.

Carpet is gone, missing some interior pieces, and has worn out Jeep Cherokee seats.

-Smittybuilt Bumpers front and rear

-Warn M8000 Winch

-Rubicon Express 6.5'' Lift

-Iron Rock off road 1 ton Steering

-Rock Box with Dual NP231 T-Cases

-Unibody and steering box stiffeners all around

It came with a D30-D35 combo, but the D35 had a howl so I built a fresh 8.8 LSD with a truss to take the rears place. The front D30 will be getting LSD, Sleeved, Trussed, and re-geared as well to match the 4.88s in the 8.8.

I never realized how rare they were until purchasing mine and I love it.

I am looking to share my build progress and experiences with you all along the way.

Build date 8/12/87

Body code TS61

Sold originally by CONROE JEEP-EAGLE CONROE TX, and I do not know how many owners it has been through.

EVERYBODY MEET PATTIhaul.jpg.ce48c3dfa0a00eca231adfb72e865dc0.jpg

driveway.jpg

haul2.jpg

rear.jpg

23 hours ago, 1987Comanche said:

Nice!  Where were the R&Ps made?  Any issues setting them up?  I've heard the major manufacturers have sent R&P mfg to India/China and the gear sets have issues.  The last one I set up was a used GM 3.42 gear set so I have no firsthand experience on the newer aftermarket sets.

I used G2 Gears that were "new to me". i couldn't tell you the MFG date or place because I had gotten them from a friend new in box who had bought them YEARS ago and never used them. I may still have the box if its labeled on it I can take a peek for ya.  

As far as my front goes, I am using NITRO Gear gears with a NITRO Gear LSD.

18 hours ago, Jesse J said:

Interested to why you didn't swap for discs

Believe it or not, drums actually have more stopping power than discs. I have drums on the rear of mine and they have been great.

50 minutes ago, CurtisDgls said:

I was in the right place right time for a $50, 31 spline LSD 8.8 with drum brakes. I plan on switching to disc when I do C-clip Eliminators.

makes sense

43 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Believe it or not, drums actually have more stopping power than discs. I have drums on the rear of mine and they have been great.

but discs are a little more efficent and don't fade as quick