Overheating

So, as we all know. I'm not quite the nicest person to my jeep. I like to go fast and she likes to please me.

However starting Sunday she's not been very happy with me... hitting Temps of 228 at times, and probably would keep climbing if I didnt get to move again. Running down interstate she stays at 208. Idle after that temp it climbs quick.

I have no tell tale signs of anything wrong....?

Pump isn't weeping

Coolant is full

Oil is at level.

Even did a fan upgrade, to Ksuspension's cyclone system.

Need to do leakdown check/compression test in cylinders again.

Maybe your thermostat isn't opening all the way. Also, make sure nothing is blocking your radiator. If both of those look good, I'd swap the water pump. My dad had a 54 Studebaker Conestoga with a SBC and had the propeller for the water pump break off (it was a new water pump on a new motor). I'm not saying that that is likely, but it is possible.

First thing that comes to mind would be a coolant flush, it sounds like there might be some junk in the cooling system not allowing it to work correctly, my other thought is on the later model XJ & I believe MJ’s had a smaller aux fan for the ac condenser that is suppose to kick on around 220 or so if that is not kicking on there could be some other underlying issues, also if you don’t have an aux electric fan it’s never a bad time to add one for peace of mind! :)

31 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Bad fan clutch comes to mind too. 

28 minutes ago, 88mancheman said:

[mention]eaglescout526 [/mention] may have hit the nail right on the head since OP said it would cool off when he was moving again

Would be true if it wasn't all e-fans.

47 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Maybe your thermostat isn't opening all the way. Also, make sure nothing is blocking your radiator. If both of those look good, I'd swap the water pump. My dad had a 54 Studebaker Conestoga with a SBC and had the propeller for the water pump break off (it was a new water pump on a new motor).

Pretty sure its good...? I can see flow in the reservoir so my thought is the prop is at least still spinning... but maybe the tstat is jammed...

• 2 months later...