Turbocharged 4.0L?

there are kits to turbo a 4 banger

Where are these kits? The only kits I've seen for putting a turbo on a 4 cylinder were very incomplete, basically you get the turbo itself, no tubing, no mounting, and gotta make/figure a lot of it out on your own.

To me, buying a kit means it is figured out for you. If I wanted to fabricate my own setup, I wouldn't be buying a kit.

505 performance is the only "kit" I know of for either the 4 or 6 cylinder Jeep motors that is currently available.

http://www.505performance.com/Our_Turbo_System.html

Seems I remember seeing something about a turbo in an old JP mag, might have been a super though. I am actually thinking of getting rid of my A/C that doesn't work anyways and replacing it with a kit supercharger, turbo, or whatever it is. This will not happen till I get a metal cowl hood though, which run about 500 bucks.

Alex

I don't think it's worth it. The motor can only handle 5-6psi of boost with any sort of reliability. Unless you start upgrading the internals. Which are not production items and would have to be one-offed. Taking some major cashola.

Also, there's mad clearance issues unless you put the turbo on the passenger side (as is done on the turbo kits for the YJ/TJ), which means you need a longer charge pipe and you'll see more lag. Although, with a small turbo only capable of 4-5psi you'd probably not have an issue.

Another major issue is keeping it cooled. Where would the inter-cooler go? In front of the rad perhaps, it'd not be very big and would have some funky pipe routing. And I'm not sure how well the cooling system would work otherwise, maybe a custom (or if there is a shelf) 3-core aluminum rad would get the job done.

Another major issue is keeping it cooled. Where would the inter-cooler go? In front of the rad perhaps, it'd not be very big and would have some funky pipe routing. And I'm not sure how well the cooling system would work otherwise, maybe a custom (or if there is a shelf) 3-core aluminum rad would get the job done.

modine makes an all metal 3-core.. i had it for a while til i nailed the accord :oops:

and the kenne bell kit comes with a small tranny cooler size intercooler and a separate overflow and stuff

turbo!?!

kenne bell makes a 6 or 6 intercooled or 8 intercooled supercharger kit for the i6 comes with a compy for your obd1 stuff so us renix guys would have to toy about with injectors/adjustable MAPs and stuff

It won't fit under the hood on the XJ or MJ.

I have the KB setup on my Golen 4.6L stroker in my XJ.

I had to have a custom set of motor mounts made to lower my motor 1.25", do an adapter plate for my intake manifold to lower it .5" and than have a custom pulley made to get the rest of the clearance with the hood.

If you factor in the blower, I have around $6K in the project, not including the cost of the engine management. Took me 2 years and it's finally on as of about 3 weeks ago.

Search Jeepforum, I have a lot of pics and info of my project.

turbo!?!

kenne bell makes a 6 or 6 intercooled or 8 intercooled supercharger kit for the i6 comes with a compy for your obd1 stuff so us renix guys would have to toy about with injectors/adjustable MAPs and stuff

I had to have a custom set of motor mounts made to lower my motor 1.25", do an adapter plate for my intake manifold to lower it .5" and than have a custom pulley made to get the rest of the clearance with the hood.

If you factor in the blower, I have around $6K in the project, not including the cost of the engine management. Took me 2 years and it's finally on as of about 3 weeks ago.

see my solution for it not fitting under the hood is alot more simple... angle grinder. somethin to the effect of peteMs hood-scoop/fan thingy. just a little poke up

turbo!?!

see my solution for it not fitting under the hood is alot more simple... angle grinder. somethin to the effect of peteMs hood-scoop/fan thingy. just a little poke up

A turbo can also be mounted further down the exhaust like under the bed.

i think my solution would be the same cut out the hood and make the clearence thataway lol. A turbo might be kinda cool but its an expensive process. and a 4.0 really isnt made to handle alot of boost and when you run a turbo with little boost you get bad lag and that just scrues up your performance anyhow.

Jesus, I just went to the grocery store and come back to this !!

I don't see why the stock internals couldn't handle say 6 to 10 psi's, now remapping the renix for better fuel curves would be a lil tricky, but if you were going to go force induction then I'd suspect youd have already swapped to the HO head and ecu. Someone may be able to run a piggyback controller to change parameters in the fuel curve. I wish I knew more about the 4.0 cause I bet a fi i6 would be a torque monster.

SC'ed or boosted.

I don't see why the stock internals couldn't handle say 6 to 10 psi's

It has been found they won't. The why is a little more complicated. The simple answer is it wasn't designed for it. I think the rods like to crap out.

yeah after thinking about it.. hell with all that just gut it and drop a csb and call it mean.

why not gett it stroked or buy a stroked engine to suit your needs and then get it geared so you can enjoy it. If not then look at hesco or golen and see what they can offer you as far as performance. hope you have deep pockets or time :brows:

Expensive.

There's a thing called a cost to power ratio.

With a 4-oh it's always high. There's just no aftermarket for it. Roller rockers for it are $500 for the set, decent SBC ones are about $200 and a set has 4 more. IF you want decent rods, they have to be custom. Same goes for a crank. The pistions aren't the right size to get you anywhere (unless you over-bore like mad). An aluminum head is hella expensive (iron is crap). That and throw in the cam harmonics and the crank harmonics, and that you can't run a roller cam (without going mega expensive) and I really ask WHY BOTHER!

Gut it and stick a SBC in. You'll be miles ahead. A LT1 will save you something like 75lbs off the front end (or any aluminum head SBC). Although, I'm not sure if you mean CSB as chrysler or chevy, but w/e.

i agree totally.. Unless you just love your 4.0 and want to have a 1 of a kind engine there are many other ways to make better more dependable power. A 4.0 isnt the best engine out there anyhow... stroked out with a supercharger and all that other crap would be awsome for about 50000 miles and then itll be ready for a rebuild. Your better off getting a chevy v6 or v8 and good gears and itll be alot cheeper.