Idling and Stalling

On 11/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, Big_Mark said:

Not yet, I guess I'll give it a go and see what happens. Will post up here and in my thread with results. thanks man I feel you pain.

SO yes I tried this and there was zero change in behavior. I've also thrown some parts at it (from a junk yard truck) to no avail, including the ignitor and coil. Tested all plug wires, they are good, I'll wait until spring to work on this, hopefully I'll have had my vaccines and my mechanic buddy can help me out.

When it's warm again I plan to take off the hood and do the Cruiser54 sensor ground hack to see if that makes any difference for this issue.

I'll post up later!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SO yes I tried this and there was zero change in behavior. I've also thrown some parts at it (from a junk yard truck) to no avail, including the ignitor and coil. Tested all plug wires, they are good, I'll wait until spring to work on this, hopefully I'll have had my vaccines and my mechanic buddy can help me out.
When it's warm again I plan to take off the hood and do the Cruiser54 sensor ground hack to see if that makes any difference for this issue.
I'll post up later!

Have you done the injector swap with the 746s? It hasn’t fully solved the problem for me, but it made it more tolerable. All those errors (except the lean loop fault) have gone away naturally, which I think is due to the computer resetting. To be honest, I think I might have an issue with the IAC because unplugging it does nothing or the MAP as my truck will get the “lean loop” fault when it’s in open loop (at least I think it’s open loop. It’s on start up, which is when open loop is used)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the people who have engine monitors - how does your O2 sensor perform when you start up? Mine stays near 4.98 volts and drops slowly while in Open loop before swapping into closed and running terribly because of the lean value. Then it swaps back into open loop. I personally don’t think this is how the sensor should be working, but I want to see if other people see the same thing.

9 hours ago, Dammerung said:

Question for the people who have engine monitors - how does your O2 sensor perform when you start up? Mine stays near 4.98 volts and drops slowly while in Open loop before swapping into closed and running terribly because of the lean value. Then it swaps back into open loop. I personally don’t think this is how the sensor should be working, but I want to see if other people see the same thing.

Mine stays rich for a little bit then goes into closed and jumps back and forth between rich and lean constantly. 

02S could be telling you the truth. What's your STFT/LTFT values?

When it starts up, both are at 128, which is what I assume to be normal in an open loop startup. When it kicks into closed loop for the first time, LT stays at 128 and ST climbs from 128 up to around 250 before going back into open loop and resetting back to 128. Once it finally works as close to correctly as it can, the STFT bounces between 57-80 if I remember correctly. LTFT is constantly at 128, and I’ve seen no change.

13 hours ago, Dammerung said:

When it starts up, both are at 128, which is what I assume to be normal in an open loop startup.

128=Normal or Fuel Trim centering point.

When it kicks into closed loop for the first time, LT stays at 128 and ST climbs from 128 up to around 250 before going back into open loop and resetting back to 128.

ECU is adding fuel (increasing INJ PW time) while attempting to enter CL (ST≈250). This matches what your 02 is seeing (LEAN).

Once it finally works as close to correctly as it can, the STFT bounces between 57-80 if I remember correctly

Don't know why STFT levels out at 57-80. 02 must be seeing RICH.

Does 02S rapidly switch between RICH & LEAN when in CL mode?

Only suggestion is check 02 heater circuit for continuity. Disconnect 02S and measure resistance (component) side between C229_A and C229_B. Looking for ≈6Ω.

1972349770_C229OxygenSensor.jpg.3da6f310fee104265ae3448f6a777e84.jpg
This connector view is harness side.

I was reading 4.5 ohms

• 2 weeks later...

Since it snowed today I decided to give the old Jeep a hammerdown through the yard, I started it and it was responsive and worked well, but by the 3rd pass across the snow covered field it started stumbling off idle. I noticed the engine had come up to temp.

Research on Cherocar forums indicate O2 sensor, when the sun comes out I'll try that since as it has been mentioned here, O2 Sensors are replacement parts and I haven't replaced mine yet.

It was fun to drive hard again, even if it was just for 10-15 minutes :-)

• 4 months later...

@Dammerung any progress here?

I'm still having the same issues so today I am going to go over all the vacuum lines.

Will start by blocking off the accessory line that comes off the manifold, then will spray some carb cleaner around the seals and hose ends.

Thing's I've done since Feb: Swapped in new Alternator, replaced fuel pressure regulator, re-wired battery grounds and starter cable. I pulled open my wiring harness under the hood on the firewall to work on Cruiser54s ground hack, only to find it had been fixed already. I plan to solder a wire directly to the ground bundle to see if that makes any improvements.

Before I had this issue I had been working on the heater controls, and vacuum reservoir. It's entirely possible one of the one-way vacuum valve has just given out. Fingers crossed that's the issue here, I really want to drive this thing!

@Dammerung any progress here?
I'm still having the same issues so today I am going to go over all the vacuum lines.
Will start by blocking off the accessory line that comes off the manifold, then will spray some carb cleaner around the seals and hose ends.
Thing's I've done since Feb: Swapped in new Alternator, replaced fuel pressure regulator, re-wired battery grounds and starter cable. I pulled open my wiring harness under the hood on the firewall to work on Cruiser54s ground hack, only to find it had been fixed already. I plan to solder a wire directly to the ground bundle to see if that makes any improvements.
Before I had this issue I had been working on the heater controls, and vacuum reservoir. It's entirely possible one of the one-way vacuum valve has just given out. Fingers crossed that's the issue here, I really want to drive this thing!

Nope. Never figured it out. It just decided to come and go and hasn’t done it since. My fuel trim is still absolutely screwed, but I haven’t been able to figure that out. It runs well enough that I’ve decided to not look the gift horse in the mouth.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer
4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD