Best Remanufactured 4.0L Supplier

The 89' Eliminator is pushing the 280K mark and I know that at some point in time I am going to have to either rebuild or replace the engine. I have a couple of issues. I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, only 2 machine shops on the island, one will do a rebuild of the engine, the other will only do the machining no assembly. The local part houses have various suppliers that I have researched but not one has a really good review on quality, service backup, or warranty support. I have Googled a number of engine remanufacturers but its hard to tell the quality levels based upon a webpage. I don't need a stroker, (Hesco) and really don't need the extra HP or the use of 92 Octane, just a solid well built stock 4.0L that will give me another 280K or more. The plan is to drive it till it dies but I would like to have my backup on hand so the downtime is minimized. Have search here on the Forum but not a lot of info regarding remanufactured engines and suppliers, any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

It's a little different and I'm not sure how the shipping will work. Three years ago I bought a stock brand new chevy 350 short block from JEGS. Built by Chevy Performance.
Quite honestly I chose them because they were the cheapest brand new one available. But I was very happy with them. Here's a link to a reman ATK from JEGS

https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/DA23/10002/-1

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

8 hours ago, hakukamana said:

The 89' Eliminator is pushing the 280K mark and I know that at some point in time I am going to have to either rebuild or replace the engine. I have a couple of issues. I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, only 2 machine shops on the island, one will do a rebuild of the engine, the other will only do the machining no assembly. The local part houses have various suppliers that I have researched but not one has a really good review on quality, service backup, or warranty support. I have Googled a number of engine remanufacturers but its hard to tell the quality levels based upon a webpage. I don't need a stroker, (Hesco) and really don't need the extra HP or the use of 92 Octane, just a solid well built stock 4.0L that will give me another 280K or more. The plan is to drive it till it dies but I would like to have my backup on hand so the downtime is minimized. Have search here on the Forum but not a lot of info regarding remanufactured engines and suppliers, any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also in the middle of the pacific so I understand the dilema. ATK was building Mopar stroker engines so they are decent. Personally I would build it myself. Built several of them and just tel your machine shop to do the boring and decking/milling as needed. You can get pretty much everything else from summit. If you keep the quench tight you can really run lower octane than you would imagine. There are plenty of strokers running on 87

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

If a stroker, I'd look at Bishop-Buell Racing. I think he can supply a full engine. 

Is that Russ Pottenger’s shop? If so, I can vouch for his builds. Nothing less than phenomenal work and customer support. I don’t recommend 505 performance or Hesco due to poor customer support from both. Clifford and Hesco were apparently both awesome companies back in the days of the original owners. 

32 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Is that Russ Pottenger’s shop? If so, I can vouch for his builds. Nothing less than phenomenal work and customer support. I don’t recommend 505 performance or Hesco due to poor customer support from both. Clifford and Hesco were apparently both awesome companies back in the days of the original owners. 

Yes, Russ's shop. Be prepared to spend at least 1/2 hour on engine oil and break in procedures. I have not completed my engine though. I do have mine set up for 87 octane. Heard the same about 505. I have had good ordering from HESCO, but nothing large. With Russ, he gives you options. Also, a build to what use you plan the engine to be used as. 

7 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

Yes, Russ's shop. Be prepared to spend at least 1/2 hour on engine oil and break in procedures. I have not completed my engine though. I do have mine set up for 87 octane. Heard the same about 505. I have had good ordering from HESCO, but nothing large. With Russ, he gives you options. Also, a build to what use you plan the engine to be used as. 

Yeah Russ’ work is amazing. He really knows these engines and builds them incredibly well. Also has very good pricing for the work and products involved. So many of the products on Hesco are just off the shelf components from your local auto parts store but at huge markups. I recall hearing very good things about Bennie Hesco’s engines back in the day but I don’t really feel like they have the same quality anymore. I would take Russ’ builds any day over any of the competitors. 

I've gone the route of having a 302 balanced and blue printed, then did the assembly myself, however I was younger then and now I like the comfort of having some things done by folks who do it all the time. Since you're options seem limited I'd have Shop #1 do the rebuild so you can drop it off then pick it up when it's ready.

No matter the route you take you will need to break it in properly as mentioned.

Alternately you could get a junk yard engine (maybe? not sure what th junk yard status is like over there)